Citroen C5 X7 Faults. 1.6hdi vtr+

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunder22C5
My Cars: 58 Citroen C5 VTR+ Tourer

Citroen C5 X7 Faults. 1.6hdi vtr+

Post by Thunder22C5 »

Hello, bought my 58 Plate Citroen C5 1.6hdi VTR+ estate, last month and currently have these faults the ones in bold have only just started.

Drivers Window doesn’t work, was working fine then just got stuck down, when I selected it to go up it would go up about 2 inches then stop.

Windscreen Wipers, worked fine then one day the left hand one became intermittent then the right had started doing partial movements, like just wiping the top half. Now neither work at all.

Main beam won’t change settings, if I turn the stalk nothing changes at all.

High Beam won’t work, generic ODB reader shows the signal is being sent, but neither lights or dashboard light is illuminating.

Horrible Jerking at mid to high rev range while cold.
LCD information screen works but gets black lines on it after time then eventually is unreadable.

Third brake light. There is no voltage being measured at the light unit.

Rear Number plate lights. Haven’t tried anything with this yet as only noticed today.

Thanks in advance, please note I have don't the bsi reset but doesn't seem to make a difference with anything.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Faults. 1.6hdi vtr+

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome to the forum. These could be symptomatic of either an under engine fuse box fault (as it is affecting so many systems), or it could be individual problems.

Have the faults suddenly all appeared overnight - or gradually and individually?

An example of the window and wipers if individual faults:
Wiper
The wiper ECUs are built into the wiper motor unit - AND the Driver's motor controls the Passenger slave unit - here is the relevant part from the docs: So it could well be that it is the driver's wiper that needed replacing.
3. Function
Functions of the driver’s windscreen wiper ECU (master) :
  • To receive the wiping speed reference values from the BSI1 on the LIN, via the engine compartment fuse board-fuse box (PSF1)
  • To control the driver’s side windscreen wiper motor
  • To control the passenger’s windscreen wiper ECU (slave) via the connection between the windscreen wiper motors
  • The passenger’s side windscreen wiper ECU controls the passenger’s side windscreen wiper motor.
  • The windscreen wiper motor transmits the rotation movement to the windscreen wiper blade via an internal mechanism.
N.B. : Each windscreen wiper blade has its own motor and its own ECU.
Driver's Window:
Likely the wire has snapped (they rust and corrode and will stop in the position before the break). Mine went in the NCP car park at the barrier - had a complete new motor and regulator (under warranty as they don't repair only replace).

So as you have so many issues, you really need to get it onto a Lexia / Diagbox that is far more comprehensive that an OBD scanner and will be able to provide more detailed fault information and tests. I would strongly suggest this before looking at part replacements given there are so many issues.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Thunder22C5

Post by Thunder22C5 »

Hey thanks for all the info.

the faults came on individually so am sure it's a string of back luck, the window would go down a nd back up but only about 2 inches so there's still power to the winder motor.

Thanks again
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so it is upset about something. C5s like a good battery - if the battery is in poor health it will wreak havoc on the electrical systems.

Check the battery first (charge it on the car if possible) - connect the battery charger positive to car positive first, then charger negative to battery negative (but if your battery has a battery charge status unit as shown below which is connected to the battery negative, connect the charger negative to the flat blade of the unit ('a' in the diagram) and not the negative post of the battery), then finally connect the mains of the charger.
X7 Batt Charge Status Module.PNG
Once the battery is charged, remove the battery charger connections in reverse order and use the following to reset the car's ECUs.

BSI reset:
Yes give it a try, definitely.
Follow it without skipping any parts - the timings are minimums - don't open doors, windows or operate any equipment whilst performing the procedure. This will reset the BSI and all the ECUs and may cure your problem. If not let us know.

Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

Marc
Thunder22C5

Post by Thunder22C5 »

I have done the bsi reset already, however I cannot do the side light section because the light selection will not work.

I will charge the battery when I get a chance and report back
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don't worry about the side lights - I would focus on the battery first - if it is the original, then I suspect it is at end of its duty cycle.

Marc