Common locations for oil leaks 2.0hdi 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DJSteve
My Cars: 2002 2.0hdi citroen synergie

Common locations for oil leaks 2.0hdi 110

Post by DJSteve »

Morning all. Just wondering if anyone can advise of any common places to look at with regards to oil leaks on the 2.0 hdi as my synergie is starting to drop quite a bit of it. Doesn seem to be obviously burning oil tho so im guessing its jus from the leak that cars had since i got it.
Bick

Re: Common locations for oil leaks 2.0hdi 110

Post by Bick »

They do tend to weep from a fair few locations but not necessarily leak, are you sure its not burning the oil because if you use 5w30 they tend to burn a fair bit. If you use 5w40 they dont seem to burn anywhere near as much.

If you think its leaking place a board under when you park up to see how much is leaking. The only way to be sure is wash off the engine and get under and have a look.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

I'm not sure there are any particularly common leaking points, but my first line of inquiry would be the various seals.

I have the same engine, and my camshaft seal started leaking around 180k miles, and then my flywheel end crankshaft seal started leaking around 230k miles (I pre-emptively changed the timing belt end crankshaft seal around 170k miles and it had not leaked by then). Both seals are cheap to buy and the camshaft seal is easy enough to change, but the flywheel end crank seal needs the gearbox, clutch and flywheel removing, which is not a fun job on that engine/gearbox.

As Bick says, the thing to do is probably give the engine a good wash, and then to get under and inspect after a hundred miles of driving.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

So are you seeing oil left on the ground/accumulating in the under tray?
Or are you just seeing the oil level drop, with no obvious oil left under the car?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)