Xantia Radiator Replacement Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaKarl

Xantia Radiator Replacement Help

Post by XantiaKarl »

Need to do this as just found that the top part of my rad is corroded so much that it feels like breadcrumbs. I~ have the Hayes by if anyone can give me any advice as to the procedure, I have air con so space is prety tight. Thanks.
Anyone know the what the average a radiator costs-cheepest is better for me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi
You don't say what engine you Xantia has? I think all will be similar - drain coolant, disconnect hoses (bottom hose was a pain on mine as it was stuck on the rad after 8 years), pop the rad out (note if it's a TD don't mess around remove the intercooler inlet and outlet hoses at the start). Refit radiator, and refill cooling system. Use a 'header tank' on top of the filler to get enough height to get all the air out. Run the engine to normal operating temp with the header tank on, refilling as air comes out, allow to cool and top up as necessary.
New radiators available from GSF for about £100 - given the propensity for Xantia radiators to fail, it's hardly worth getting a S/H one, unless it looks very new!
XantiaKarl

Post by XantiaKarl »

Richard
Its a 94 TD, thanks. Do I take the intercooler out with the radiator?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I think so - the intercooler sits on mounts on the rad (or is it the other way round - can't remember) so you just pull them out as a pair and then separate them. Allows you to clean all the dead flies out of the intercooler too!
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Just a quick question - are the GSF rads better than Citroen's? I've nearly always run old cars and the Cit rad is probably the worst I've encountered!
XantiaKarl

Post by XantiaKarl »

My bottom hose is stuckon too how did you do it Richard?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Jiggled it a lot, carefully prised at the edges with a screwdriver - it came eventually. It's not fixed in anyway, just stuck on with dried antifreeze. Oh, you'll need something to seal the fan switch back in with as well. I didn't have a new washer, so just used a bit of Hematite gasket which seems to have worked OK.
XantiaKarl

Post by XantiaKarl »

OK got it all done, took me and a friend to get that bottom hose out then back into the new radiator. I don`t have a fan switch just a blank plug, maybe cause it has A/C??
Also the radiator-Valco doesn`t have a drain at the bottom like the orig one, so it will be intresting to know how I`m expected to drain the thing now. Thanks for help