C5 x7 tips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

C5 x7 tips

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi guys
I'm upgrading to an x7 exclusive auto estate 140bhp 2.0 diesel n found a 2009 in my price range. Its very clean n arranged a test drive for Tuesday. Couple o questions
Does it have a dpf n eolys tank like my 2.2hdi? If so how often does tank need topping up? Which fluid?
It has an rt4 satnav. Any good?
Its got just over 100,000 with FSH, when does the cam belt need doing and should water pump be done too?
Its got a panoramic roof, any faults or problems with these?
Paint is starting to peel from all the alloy wheels, thus normal?
Any major issues I should look for?
Any tips n advice are most welcome
Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 x7 tips

Post by Stickyfinger »

Bandit12 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 18:38 Hi guys
I'm upgrading to an x7 exclusive auto estate 140bhp 2.0 diesel n found a 2009 in my price range. Its very clean n arranged a test drive for Tuesday. Couple o questions
Does it have a dpf n eolys tank like my 2.2hdi? If so how often does tank need topping up? Which fluid?
It has an rt4 satnav. Any good?
Its got just over 100,000 with FSH, when does the cam belt need doing and should water pump be done too?
Its got a panoramic roof, any faults or problems with these?
Paint is starting to peel from all the alloy wheels, thus normal?
Any major issues I should look for?
Any tips n advice are most welcome
Bandit

It has both, vin number to check bag/fluid type, when it asks as there is no "level" check :)
IMHO no "fitted" SatNav is better than the leading brands, many PSA one can only do limited PostCode searches making them rubbish in the country or a large city center
Do the Belt & the AUTO-Box oil
Don't know about those roofs
Yes, about £30-40 a wheel. More importantly the seals on the pressure sender/valve can leak due to internal corrosion.
Rear Anti-Roll Bar Bushes/Bar, Leaking Steering Rack pinion seal, Leaking front struts, Rust on rear pipework to the HA Block componants
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I never use the rt4 sat nav in my 2007 pug 407. My wee garmin one is far easier to use, as said earlier I can’t enter uk postcodes into the rt4 which rather defeats the purpose of it.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The RT4 was fitted to the earlier X7 and is very similar to the RT3. Opinions are varied, but let’s get some features and facts sorted first. This unit was the premium system prior to the NG4. It has a 30 Gb hard drive. a jukebox that can store mp3 filesa and can copy cds in MP3 format to the drive. It has a slot on the main unit for a SIM card for telephone use and the emergency call services. It does not have Bluetooth capability though, It has European mapping, and the unit supports voice commands for some functions. It utilises voice tags so you can create and assign these to contacts, storing navigation info as well as telephone and other info. As for postcodes, most systems prior to the RT6 use 5 digit postcodes, and this includes the RT4. The post code is entered into the town field and this can really narrow the addresses down where you can select the required one from a list.

I would also say that the RT4 units are often preferred to the MyWay and RT6 systems, and I have already helped several members with replacements from newer systems to the RT4. They are very rare and very expensive if you can get hold of them, being even now around the £890 mark withiut the screen!

As for the car overall, steering rack is going to be the one to check as it is a common failure before the modified replacement came out. Timing belt will be at 10 years or 120k miles IIRC, and yes do the water pump at the same time.

I think you will be very happy with it. I should say there is a USB upgrade mod that you can do that will allow the RT4 Radar files and Mals to be updated, rather than using the CD drive.

I’ve also on my 140 had the driver side wiper motor and ECU unit go that affects both wipers, the A/C compressor and condenser replaced, the driver’s window regulator and motor (Citroen don’t repair just the regulators, they replace the whole thing), the height cottectors done and a rear suspension pipe that was weakened at the bend (at factory). That’s about it, but that’s not to say these will go on yours. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I had an X7 for 60000 miles and thought it was a great car, miss it.

Mine was different spec but can comment on some of your questions. I had a MyWay satnav, so can't add anything on RT4.

Glass roof, no problems at all. Recall a few posts on other fora, perhaps French ones, about cracks but seems like that was poor fitting, crack early in life of car. The retractable blind robs some headroom in the boot. i normally kept mine open, closed it on very frosty mornings, inside of car warms up a bit quicker, and on long trips with rear seat passengers to make conversation easier. the roof isn't noisy per se but that flat expanse of glass bounces noise around a bit and the blind seems to quieten things.

on many insurance polices the glass roof doesn't come under windscreen/glass cover so a claim is a claim. If you stuff it badly enough to break the roof its probably a claim anyway.

Only problems I had were window lift cable on one side - they corrode and break but fail "closed" in most cases so you have time to sort it out. dealer will replace whole unit, £££, or you can buy a pre assembled cable and frame and reuse the motor, ££, or just the cable and "enjoy" and afternoon of cursing the thing as you retension it all around a drum, cables only about £10 if I recall. That and 3rd brake light LEDS, no need to replace unit you can open it and bypass the corroded connectors on the circuit board.

Apart from the normal tyres (expect 25k fronts and 40k rears, more or less depending on where and how you drive), brake pads and oil/filter changes, it required no attention at all.

A very good car, no idea why they didn't sell a lot more, maybe because it didn't have a mercbmwaudi badge the reviewers gave it a hard time.

Enjoy.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks fr the tips guys n I'm now the owner of an x7. Very nice car n all seems fine with drop links n steering rack etc. Only thing that might need attention is the massage seat. The green light only stays on for a couple of seconds before goimg out again, is that normal? Satnav is on 2007 maps,easy to update? That USB upgrade also sounds useful. Any links on where to buy? Not had much chance to read handbook yet but can the instrument lighting be changed from red to blue or green?
Anyway picking it up on Saturday ☺
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Good Job that man. You will enjoy the car, lovely things.

Oh yes, try it with +300kg in the boot, they drive all smooth and soft just like an old Citroen :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bandit12 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 18:38 Thanks fr the tips guys n I'm now the owner of an x7. Very nice car n all seems fine with drop links n steering rack etc. Only thing that might need attention is the massage seat. The green light only stays on for a couple of seconds before goimg out again, is that normal? Satnav is on 2007 maps,easy to update? That USB upgrade also sounds useful. Any links on where to buy? Not had much chance to read handbook yet but can the instrument lighting be changed from red to blue or green?
Anyway picking it up on Saturday ☺

Excellent - I hope she serves you well!

1) Dash colours - you can change the display on the large colour screen to one of a few themes - but you cannot change the general dashboard lighting colours.
2) 'EDC5' has just fitted his RT4 in place of his MyWay and ordered and fitted the USB cable. I should say that it is not a standard X7 cable - it is a PSA USB cable for a Peugeot model (Part number '6574 JH' - but this is the specific one you need. Check in the Centre console at the front, nearest the gear shift - about half way down. If you already have a USB socket, there will be a small round flap that you pull down to access the port. If not and want to be able to update the unit with firmware and maps - it is an alternative method of doing this. It will need enabling though either by Diagbox (once fitted) or by using the Mira Scripts utlity for the RT* units.
3) As for updating the maps - yes via CD (or USB if and when you decide you want to do the Mod).
4) Do spend several days reading the manual :-D

If you don't have an RT4 manual with the car when you pick it up, let me know - I have assembled a PDF for the C5 unit that I can send you.
If you have any more RT4 questions - post them under the RT4 section of the Audio and Telematics Forum:
RT4 Sub Forum

Marc
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks guys for the tips and for the kind offer of a PDF.
There is an RT4 manual with the car and did not see any USB port on the front of the unit. Room for a sim card on the right hand side but nothing obvious. I'll defo spend a couple of days reading the manual :-) and if I have any problems Ill post them under the correct heading.

Roll on saturday :-)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

If you don't have the USB cable pre fitted, and you decide to fit it, you can run it to the glovebox ( that’s what I have done) as it seemed a lot simpler than converting the cigarette lighter socket or making a hole in the dash elsewhere.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

re massage seat, I am sure mine is green the whole time the seat is on, about an hour from memory?
It sounds like a great feature, but I hardly use mine, it just moves the lumber up and down and in and out really.. quite an odd experience but I will use it now and again when I am bored :)

Sat nav. mine is probably different, but I tend to pinpoint my destination on the map more than use the 5 digit postcode, even if it means using my phone first to find the place on the map.. works really well and mine has the traffic on.. after years of phones falling off the screen, cables and so on, it's really nice to have all things neat in the C5
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bandit12 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 21:52 Thanks guys for the tips and for the kind offer of a PDF.
There is an RT4 manual with the car and did not see any USB port on the front of the unit. Room for a sim card on the right hand side but nothing obvious. I'll defo spend a couple of days reading the manual :-) and if I have any problems Ill post them under the correct heading.

Roll on saturday :-)
There is no USB on the RT4 unit - the USB mod is only a USB cable that goes into the back of the unit and needs to be wired into a suitable location as EDC5 says - All the C5 X7s with USB fitted as standard are located in the Centre Armrest area as I described.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 23:01... All the C5 X7s with USB fitted as standard are located in the Centre Armrest area as I described.
Which is a really stupid place. I have a short USB A Male to Female extension lead so I can close the lid. Barmy idea.
Last edited by Paul-R on 03 Jan 2018, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just like the Uber useful drinks holder inside the centre cosole; whoever thought that one up surely deserves a design innovation award.

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Or

door pockets that you cannot get a hand into let alone anything else, but hey, at least they light up to show nothing is in there :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider