Saw a C5 with ice blue lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fv43576

Saw a C5 with ice blue lights

Post by fv43576 »

Today I saw a C5 2004 hatchback a rare Exclusive with SE, I notice the dip lights are ice blue, I just wonder if this is HID or Xenon bulbs? because I want one my is VTR 2003 which is have the normal bulb is H7 130% PHILIPS EXTREME good bright but spread in the further distance is poor than my past cars, so I am think of swap same from Exclusive SE it would improve? anybody have try the ice blue lights from Exclusive SE?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Saw a C5 with ice blue lights

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can't just swap the bulbs or the headlights over I'm afraid. The SE will have discharge lamps. These require ballasts / igniters. You will also require headlamp levellers and the headlamp wash system to be fitted which was a requirement for Discharge lamps. You may not have the correct wiring loom for these either.

Xenon is just the gas used in the High Intensity Discharge lamps. The standard lamps are Halogen, but may have a coated tip on the bulb to provide a blue effect.

I don't know of anyone that has actually bothered with a conversion, given the expense of getting the parts, the modifications to the bumper, the washer rams and covers, piping etc. - it was just too time and cost prohibitive.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fv43576

Post by fv43576 »

Thanks I'll forget about that I am just wonder.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

For light output, the Philips X-treme are one of the two very best halogen lamps available; the other is Osram's NightBreaker.

So far as I remember, both are available in versions with a blue tint. Remember though that tinted lamps come with a downside: part of their light output (towards the red and grren end of the spectrum) is filtered out by the blue coating, and this reduces the brightness of what you see, the more so the deeper the tint.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, as Chris says, stick to white if you want to increase the brightness / range. 'Brilliance' bulbs can provider a crisper, brighter, whiter light output, but the other downside is a shorter bulb life.

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I did the conversion. Pics/details are in my profile thread. They are a significant improvement.
The ballast, leveller, washer jets etc are all in the one unit and they use the same wiring. It's a p**s easy mod to do tbh, provided you're confident enough to remove the front bumper (on which BTW, the top front screws will be seized and will (if you're lucky) shear, or if not so lucky, result in the clip on nut fixings breaking away and spinning :roll: )

You don't need washers, they aren't mandatory. If fitted though, they must work for the mot.
Getting them operational is more involved. You need to change the washer tank for one with a dual pump setup. The wiring is there for it, but you need a bit of extra plumbing as well and will need to adapt the front bumper to take the washers, which isn't easy. Hence, this part of the mod I didn't bother with, although the washers are there, sat happily where they should be behind the bumper.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

Not just Exclusive SE , but the 2.2 HDI, 2.0 16vb and 2.0 HPi `exclusive` as well (I have the 2.2 HDi)
Simon
fv43576

Post by fv43576 »

wurlycorner wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 20:59 I did the conversion. Pics/details are in my profile thread. They are a significant improvement.
The ballast, leveller, washer jets etc are all in the one unit and they use the same wiring. It's a p**s easy mod to do tbh, provided you're confident enough to remove the front bumper (on which BTW, the top front screws will be seized and will (if you're lucky) shear, or if not so lucky, result in the clip on nut fixings breaking away and spinning :roll: )

You don't need washers, they aren't mandatory. If fitted though, they must work for the mot.
Getting them operational is more involved. You need to change the washer tank for one with a dual pump setup. The wiring is there for it, but you need a bit of extra plumbing as well and will need to adapt the front bumper to take the washers, which isn't easy. Hence, this part of the mod I didn't bother with, although the washers are there, sat happily where they should be behind the bumper.

I'll pass, too much work, I'll keep the Philips bulbs for now thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Harlequin wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 09:38 Not just Exclusive SE , but the 2.2 HDI, 2.0 16vb and 2.0 HPi `exclusive` as well (I have the 2.2 HDi)
Yes, I appreciate these were available as options on other models, it was the conversion from a standard halogen that was really the point regardless of trim. It's probably less involved on the MK I though than later models.

Marc
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

In regards to headlamp ashers :

n/s and o/s front headlamp cleaning device obviously defective [1.7.2] , if the washers are not fitted (MOT fail)
Simon
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also depends on year of manufacture it seems - my brother had a 307 estate with Xenons and no washers, currently has a Mondeo, again Xenons and without washers, never a mention at MOT time.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't bother with blue bulbs they are useless. I briefly had a BMW 5 series diesel estate, a generally useless car anyway, no room, dogs head was touching the roof, very uncomfortable seats, I won't go on I'm sure you get the picture.

We did one of our annual trips to the far north of Scotland and the headlights were awful, no better that the XM ones, then I realised, possibly not until we got home that someone had fitted blue bulbs, fitted white ones and the apparent light output probably trebled.

Peter
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

^^ That reminds me, want to get some nightbreakers for the Xantia - as the lights on the S1 are truly amazing....
Simon
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Harlequin wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 10:56 In regards to headlamp ashers :

n/s and o/s front headlamp cleaning device obviously defective [1.7.2] , if the washers are not fitted (MOT fail)

Your interpretation of that is wrong.

"obviously defective" is not, "not fitted".
Obviously defective is 'I can see they are fitted and they don't work'.

If washers are fitted, yes they must work - FACT
However, washers are not required (and weren't required under EU legislation for new cars prior to 2010) - FACT
If the MOT tester cannot see that washers are or should be fitted, they cannot fail the car (they are not allowed to disassemble the car to check) - FACT
If you don't believe me, do some further research on google, including reading the guidance notes/FOI responses on the VOSA website on the matter.

This section in particular from the MOT manual;
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... 000701.htm
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
(I added the italics)

(nb: research on that might also turn up the amusing situation that VOSA and DVA - both government agencies - disagree on interpretation of the EU standards :lol: There is also the strange situation where it is the DfT that have issued clarification on after-market HID kits, rather than either of the above agencies!!!)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Indeed - a rather bizarre situation ECE reg 48 pt 6.2.9. stipulate:

"Dipped beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal
dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen
shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s)
according to Regulation No.45 (11)"
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tra ... 048r9e.pdf

But for all practical purposes - no one has a handy meter capable of measuring total light output either at the roadside or in the MOT station*, so that regulation is - for the most part - ignored.

*If you were stopped roadside for not having a washer device and had to go to an MOT station to have it all checked, they wouldn't be able to verify either way if you were required to have one or not. You could claim you've fitted lower intensity lights since the roadside check and now didn't need washers. The MOT tester could only shrug his/her shoulders and say 'alright, guv !' :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(