Rear Disc Guard / Backplate - Possible MOT Fail?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Rear Disc Guard / Backplate - Possible MOT Fail?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So had a bit of a shock getting out of the other car yesterday, when I noticed something not quite right near the C5s rear discs. Got out and gave it a good poke - then shot off to check what is was - turned out to be the 'Brake Disc Protector' had rotten through in places, leaving an odd shape - which is what initially concerned me:

Oh, ignore the surface rust on the discs - they are newish, but the car doesn't get used for days on end!
X7-Brake-Disc-Protector-A.png
X7-Brake-Disc-Protector-B.png
X7 Rear Disc Guard B.PNG
I checked the part (4209 A8) £37.06 Each! - A lot for a piece of cheap tin by the looks of it.

So looking at it, the pads, calliper and disc has to come off to get to the bolts that hold it on - but thankfully not the hub as some would seem to be fixed to.

So with the MOT due in Feb I thought I'd better get these replaced and as a precaution, went to research a little as to whether this would be an MOT fail.... This is where the fun starts. There seems to be a lot of opinion as to whether this is a fail under the Section 3.5 J:

Section 3.5J
Check: "presence and security of brake back plates, wheel cylinders and calipers"
RFR: "a brake back plate, wheel cylinder or caliper securing device loose, missing or excessively deteriorated"

MOT Tester Forum - Can't Make Their Mind Up!
Volvo Owner was MOT-Failed
Audi Owners Comments

My own thoughts are that it is down to the terminology used in the MOT manual. A 'Brake Backplate' would seem to be applicable to vehicles with Drum Brakes - and not the other term used for what is basically a 'Dust shield'. As the Dust shield has no electrical or mechanical interaction / effect on the braking system, I can't see how it could be a fail.

I'll probably get a set ordered and locally fitted - but would be interested in opinions from others as to whether it could be classified as a failure. If the MOT testers can't agree, and with some users being failed for it and others not - it really seems to be down to the tester on the day :shock:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Rear Disc Guard / Backplate - Possible MOT Fail?

Post by wurlycorner »

I wouldn't expect it to fail, unless they are flapping around and in danger of falling/flying off. I know my latest Xantia passed it's last mot with one plate completely missing.

The backplates are absolutely terrible quality on all Citroen's. They rot so easily but as you say, are horrendously expensive to replace for what they are (a thrupence pressing, basically!)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had a Xantia pass without the protectors being fitted...

I say you'd get an advisory at worst but I would replace it as they do keep a lot of crud out of places it's not good to have crud accumulating...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

As said it would only fail if its insecure,leave it alone. If you attempt to replace it expect one or more of the bolts ( 3 ) to snap off causing more grief.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oldpug wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:41 If you attempt to replace it expect one or more of the bolts ( 3 ) to snap off causing more grief.

Yes, agreed. They always do on Xantias unless great care is taken or lady luck is smiling on you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So if they were completely removed it should't be an issue for the MOT (out of sight, out of mind), but if they are on and breaking apart, then it could be a red flag to a bull?

I may as well get them replaced as to get them fully off will be the same amount of labour to replace them. I think I'll probably give the new ones a good coat of Hammerite before getting them fitted.

Looking at the Brake Plate for a 406 with Drum brakes - this would seem to be the part referred to in the MOT as it has a lot more gubbins on:
406 Drum Brake Plate.PNG
I don't like the look of the offside one, as that has the flaky part left after some has broken away. As you say Jim, I think it better to replace as they would seem to keep a load of crap away from the other components, plus I wouldn't want any more bits breaking up and getting into places that could cause more damage.

Marc
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

CitroJim wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:44
Oldpug wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:41 If you attempt to replace it expect one or more of the bolts ( 3 ) to snap off causing more grief.

Yes, agreed. They always do on Xantias unless great care is taken or lady luck is smiling on you...

2nd agreement sort of. Changed mine, but with the axle in bits off the car. cleaned up all around all the bolt heads to get a good 6 point 10mm socket on. was advised to use impact wrench to 'shock it'. First side 2 out of 3 sheared. Other side, first one sheared so switched to manual 1/2" wrench and gentle increasing pressure and it came out fine (As in, i'm a weakling and was shocked how easy). Same too with the last one. A C5 is possibly similar to my 2003 Xsara and I've never attempted changing one on a Xantia but all I can advise is don't use brute force.

The grief with the ones that sheared was fixed by tacking them on with a little bit of weld through the open holes. Also, the new plates look like uncoated mild steel so give them a lick of paint first.

I gave mine 2 brushed on coats of what I think was silver body shop spray paint, then got loads of black hammerite on it off my gloves as I was painting other parts at the same time.
WP_20171230_14_16_14_Pro.jpg
Last edited by miked on 30 Dec 2017, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:51
Looking at the Brake Plate for a 406 with Drum brakes - this would seem to be the part referred to in the MOT as it has a lot more gubbins on:

Indeed. The 406 one would best be described as a drum brake back plate, whereas yours would be best described as a disc brake dust shield/plate.
Drum brake back plates really do need to be sound as they have quite a few forces put through them as most of the braking components (excluding the drum itself !!!) are mounted to them !

The MOT confusion seems to come about as 'brake back plate' can be interpreted as covering both disc and drum plates, whereas I'd assume it's meant to be directed at drum brakes or brakes that have braking components directly mouted to the plates - and NOT disc brake dust shields.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep. Drum brake back plate definitely need to be solid.
Disc brake back plates are just heat/dust Shields. Definitely advise that they are still fitted, but don't worry about that one on yours, for the mot.

I would be tempted to get any news ones powder coated.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

wurlycorner wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 15:48 I wouldn't expect it to fail, unless they are flapping around and in danger of falling/flying off. I know my latest Xantia passed it's last mot with one plate completely missing.

I've had more than one Xantia go through the MOT with missing backplates. They're made out of tinfoil anyway. I'd be very, very surprised if Marc's would fail. They need to be loose and flapping around dangerously, surely?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:51 So if they were completely removed it should't be an issue for the MOT...

Indeed. Back in the day it was de-rigeur to remove the disc backplates on rally cars to help improve cooling.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi guys I have had one missing from back of my c5 for several years and cars passed MOT with no advisories for 3rd year in a row.

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Mine’s actually not quite missing - yet! Some of it is broken off, so it might be worth me waiting until the rear discs need doing again before getting them done.

Marc