Cold weather cars.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Cold weather cars.

Post by qprdude »

The cold weather has arrived, even in sunny Surrey, and some of us are driving our cars for the first time in less than ideal conditions.
I've now found that the DS5 heating system is more or less the equivalent of the Morris Oxford mark 2!
A truly awful set up. The C5 used to be blowing hot air within a half mile or so. I'd be lucky to get a warm trickle coming through the vent by the time I reached Manchester now.
It seems that after a half hour, if you switch off the fan to the windscreen,(cue instant misting), you can achieve a flow which is just enough to ruffle a goose feather from the "face" vents. A/C is on and settings are as high as they go.

Don't ask about the feet vents, as I now have no feeling in my feet anyway, my socks are frozen solid. The temperature gauge reads normal, the vents open and close and the fan can be heard thundering away in the background but heat and distribution are woeful. The car eventually gets warm, but I'm 66 now, and don't have time to waste thawing out!

Next, the dark evenings have brought up the terrible interior lights. None in the rear of the cabin and no rear footwell lights! Ever tried strapping a nipper into a child seat in the dark? Luxury Marque my A***
Style over substance springs instantly to mind.

On a brighter note, by mistake, I've discovered "sport mode" for the auto-box. We have a six way roundabout nearby and it's sometimes difficult to spot a gap big enough to feed in safely, especially with the slight lag in take up with the auto. Heading home the other day, I sat for a while , waiting for a gap, and started fiddling about with the buttons. A slight gap appeared and as usual, (and necessary), I floored the accelerator. Woweeeeee, the difference is astonishing. No lag, just a boy racer sound from the tyres and I was off like a scalded cat!. One of these days, I'll get up early enough to find out what the "frost" button does.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Cold weather cars.

Post by EDC5 »

Does the DS5 not have the electrical resistance heating for when the engine is cold then?
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Obviously not EDC5. Or if it has, it's not working in my one. It's about as much use as a one legged man at an a**e kicking contest.
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you'll find the 'Frost' button is a programme adjusted to icy conditions and traction - it probably provides a smoother gear change to prevent slipping and may even start off in second to prevent possible wheel spin when used in conjunction with the ESP / ASR - I think it's much like the 'Snow Motion' for the Autos on the C5:

DS5 Winter Tyre Testing:

C5 Snow Motion:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Still waiting for some snow to try my "Snow Motion" setting (if we ever get snow down here that is) , it works in a muddy field however :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Is snow motion the snowflake button near the gear stick? Or is it a special optional extra or something?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, that's the one EDC5. Only on automatics I think.
At least, I didn't have it on my manual C5 Exclusive
Rick.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I was surprised, after years of rubbish Citroen heaters generally, to find the Saxo has a truly superb heating/demisting system...

And she's good in the snow too :)

Win, win, win...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Regarding the rather lacklustre ventilation - when was the last time the aircon cabin filter was changed ? It might be a bit blocked !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Serviced three weeks ago and the citroen guy said it didn't need it so who knows ? I think with the ds5, you have to dismantle most of the glove box for access.
Rick.

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

EDC5 wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 14:07 Is snow motion the snowflake button near the gear stick? Or is it a special optional extra or something?

Don't know about the more recent X7, but on mine the Snow Motion is automatically 'activated'. On Auto 'boxes there's also a button you can press.
Snow Mode - own work
Snow Mode - own work
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wish my C5 had a heater as good as yours, Rick! At the moment the blower isn't working (I believe it is the control module, but I have yet to pop it out), so while the HEATER is generating warmth, there is no way for it to get moving until I am driving (with a couple of windows slightly open) and the vacuum pulls the heat through.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

qprdude wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 14:49 Serviced three weeks ago and the citroen guy said it didn't need it so who knows ? I think with the ds5, you have to dismantle most of the glove box for access.

Hmmmm.... Wonder if the fact that he didn't replace it and that you need to take quite a few bits to pieces to get to it are related ? 8-[
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 14:56 I wish my C5 had a heater as good as yours, Rick! At the moment the blower isn't working (I believe it is the control module, but I have yet to pop it out), so while the HEATER is generating warmth, there is no way for it to get moving until I am driving (with a couple of windows slightly open) and the vacuum pulls the heat through.

Not great at this time of year mate. Hope you can get it fixed before your ear freezes

Bobbins, yes I remember now. A message with two "S" kind of lines appeared as soon as the temperature dropped to a certain level or traction was lost but I think I had a switch as well, on the lower right side by the "maintenance/ tyre pressure fault" switch?
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gibbo2286 has sent me a module (I also, before he made the offer, had ordered one), and I will fit it as soon as it arrives. I will sent the old one off to CitroJim for investigation as to whether they are amenable to repair.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!