C15 sills how big a job

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JEREMYH
My Cars: C15 VAN 53 plate one of the last working C15 Vans in the country doing upto 1800 mile a a week

C15 sills how big a job

Post by JEREMYH »

Im keeping my antique roadshow going in the courier industry :-D

My present C15 requires new sills in the past they have hit 250 to 300 k before the sills rusted and were ready for the scrapper or at least the local carpenter or painter and decorator . This C15 is going to keep rolling as good ones are difficult to find now as we all know

Our local garage have said its a £300 labor job and could take a lot of the day I dont think they have got it right but I may be wrong
Bick

Re: C15 sills how big a job

Post by Bick »

Probably about right, £300 isnt at all bad. There is a fair bit of work going on there and it sounds like you are going to keep it so let them do a good job.
JEREMYH
My Cars: C15 VAN 53 plate one of the last working C15 Vans in the country doing upto 1800 mile a a week

Post by JEREMYH »

Many Thanks I think we will have to do that
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep that price sounds easily right.
Bear in mind a local garage will normally only do 'mot Welding' (generally functional but not pretty...) and you would be likely to get a much neater job in a proper bodyshop.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

wurlycorner wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 10:53 Yep that price sounds easily right.
Bear in mind a local garage will normally only do 'mot Welding' (generally functional but not pretty...) and you would be likely to get a much neater job in a proper bodyshop.

Hey you, don't be so cheeky, I always did a proper job in my 'local garage' functional and pretty. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Mu local garage will do functional, or functional and pretty. The rear left doorshut they did on my activa was indistinguishable from new and cost 300 quid. The same bit on gabby, although it was not quite so bad was a make it solid job and cost 70 quid. It will never be an invisible patch though!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

do be having a good look at it before splashing the cash....

....I did my NSR Cill (Pug 405) a year or so ago and it's noticeable that various 'extremities' are starting to show their age in line with the rot dealt with so far: I'm anticipating / hoping two major bits of welding on it per year to keep it on the road.

The really scary thing in the case of my 405 was how minor the rust looked initially, and how far it had spread, see pics. Its also a really tidy looking car, not a rot-box at all, but there's a lot more rot in it than you'd think.

On the plus side, I recently did the bottom of the B Pillar (unlikely to be an issue on your C15) and that rust was really localised. Doing it myself I reckon it cost me about a tenner, but not everyone can weld.

Don't be thinking I'm trying to deter you from keeping the C15 on the road, I'm likely of a similar mind-set to you, in that I'd far rather run an 'older' vehicle, including doing 'proper mileage' in it.... I'm just suggesting you ensure you don't end up with a 'Money Pit'.

Good luck with it, and if its not viable, run it while it'll pass an MOT and keep an eye for another with an automated Ebay & Auto Trader search; including potentially in the South of France or other hot climes. The mileage you're doing, I should imagine you'll find a Minter eventually... might have to look at a good few rust-buckets first tho !

*My 405 Rot Spots are:-
OSR Cill
Lower Inner Front Wings, especially where they meet the front cross-member and behind the Wheelarch Liner. Lower Rear Wings immediately behind the Bumper
Boot Floor, especially close to the Exhaust Box and Rear Axle

The worst of the rot on the ZX I broke was to the inner front wings, in the engine bay, the location surprised me; including coz it was on the Drivers side; they were truly shocking!
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG