Citroen C4 Head gasket replacement???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adder
My Cars: Citroen C4 2005

Citroen C4 Head gasket replacement???

Post by adder »

Hi everyone, it seems that the head gasket on my 2005 C4 has gone.

I've decided I want to attempt it myself and replace it, looking around doesn't seems too bad I think I should be able to do it, if I can get the head off.

Can you all please offer any support and assistance what to expect, and tools needed? Any tips and tricks? Also if you have any videos or pictures of it being done on a C4.

If any enthusiasts around Manchester, Oldham, or Middleton area would like to lend a hand in person or would like to do Youtube video please PM.

Thanks
Last edited by adder on 09 Dec 2017, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Citroen C4 Head gasket replacement???

Post by wurlycorner »

Which engine does it have?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
adder

Post by adder »

wurlycorner wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 21:21 Which engine does it have?

Hi

It's a 1.6 16 valve, I think not the kfu type, but a single block type. I've uploaded the picture.
Attachments
20171006_112404.jpg
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Unfortunately I'm not able to offer any advise as it's not an engine I've ever touched on. Paul/citroenxm has probably got some experience with it. Is there a Haynes for it at least as might be worth the £20 or so just even as a rough guide
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I too havent done the 1.6 16v petrol engine either.. ive had a head off a hdi 1.6 16v..

Ive got one of those engines in a 307 with 88k on the clock

Just out of interest whats the signs if failiure?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If there isn't a C4 book, then the 307 book appears to cover this engine.
Richard W
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The engine is nothing special.. 16v head.. no distributer.. etc. So should not be hard at all to do.

You will need to.. remove the wipers and lower scuttle trim. This will open up rear acess however will allow water to drain onto the top of the engine should it rain.

Cam belt covers off.. time the engine up. Ive no idea if they use pin locking if so no idea where in the block it is but the cams will have pin locks.. however currently if the head is comming off it wont matter.
To remove.
Cam belt off
Top engine mount off to get belt away.. i think it has two bolts in the block two in the head
Exhaust manifold unbolt from the front..
Disconnect any pipes you can see attached to the head
Look over the back of the inlet make sure thats all clear..
Im unsure if the inlet had a support bracket to the block if it has undo it. The inlet can stay on for now.
Remove fuel lines
Vac hoses
Air intake hoses
Ensure all clear..
Remove the rocker cover..
And im guessing at this age the bolts will be inverted torx at about T18 or so..

Caution: im not sure if these are wet liner engines if they are extreame care will be needed to get the head off.. thry need tilting off the block rather then a straight lift up.

THIS IS ONLY A ROUGH IDEA OD WHATS INVOLVED

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
adder

Post by adder »

citroenxm wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 21:55 I too havent done the 1.6 16v petrol engine either.. ive had a head off a hdi 1.6 16v..

Ive got one of those engines in a 307 with 88k on the clock

Just out of interest whats the signs if failiure?

Thanks everyone, something to go on at the moment the weather is very bad here, will have to wait until I can attempt anything on it.

What are your views about Head Gasket Sealers? are they worth trying and do they work? If so which is the good one to try?

@ citroenxm

The failure sign are, the car is overheating in about 10 to 15mins, the water bottle is bubbling, and no fault codes showing, and difficult to start. I am 90% sure it's head gasket, unless radiator is blocked but is should start if it the radiator was blocked right?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Bubbling in expansion tank if head gone will be there from cold and first start.

Head sealers.. no good on dervs.. but a petrol with far lower compression might work. If yur prepared to take the head off theres no harm in trying a good quality one is there. . Nothing to loose..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The symptoms may to point to an HG fail. You're right that a blocked rad would not make it hard to start... It might be that the HG failing has led to very low compression... A compression test may be revealing... Also, get a garage to conduct a test to detect if any exhaust gasses are present in the coolant.
adder wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 09:24 What are your views about Head Gasket Sealers? are they worth trying and do they work? If so which is the good one to try?

I'm always very suspicious of such products and see them as yet another version of 'snake oil'

Having said that, I have no experience of them so giving a little benefit of the doubt...

They might work for a while but it's unlikely to be a lasting repair... It might be worth a try just to stall the need to do the job until the weather is a little more amenable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I've always avoided cooling system sealers, or head gasket sealers. The right way to fix it is to replace the gasket, no questions asked.
The only time I've used a head gasket sealer is on one Sunny I had out of desperation - it kept going within a hundred miles. I changed the gasket twice, using different types and without finding anything wrong with the block/head. The third time I stuck head gasket sealer in there and the thing was still running fine 100k later. I hated doing it though!

Agree with the others - does sound like head gasket failure. Compression test definitely worth doing.

That engine is the same as in the Mrs C2. It's covered by the Haynes manual for that, so I would assume also covered in the C4 Haynes manual?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
adder

Post by adder »

Thanks everyone, I've added head gasket sealer, just to see and hopefully tie over the winter and see what happens, if not will attempt when weather turns a little better.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It'll be interesting to see the effects of the sealer medium-term so please keep us all posted...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
adder

Post by adder »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 16:00 It'll be interesting to see the effects of the sealer medium-term so please keep us all posted...

Update.

I used the sealer, and seems it's done something, but has not resolved all problems, it now over heats after about 30 to 35mins instead of 10 to 15mins it did before, the bubbles don't appear straight away but after about 5 or 10mins and keeps bubbling more gradually. Radiator might need looking at, and also cold air blows from the heater with fully on hot.

The starting problem still persists as before, and have to keep the key turned on for a while to getting going eventually.

When I have time and weather permitting will do more work and report back.