Citroen CX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

Citroen CX

Post by Doc »

I have got the chance of buying a late model CX safari with the 2.5 diesel. It has been well looked after but I have not had any experience with these older citroens. What are they like to live with day to day and can I expect the same levels of reliability as my XM? What is the handling and ride like and what sort of miles per gallon can one reasonably expect?
Thank you in advance.[:)]
1992 2.1 SED XM hatch
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If it's the DTR Turbo2, then check it's had another engine as they get porous and lose water/sieze at around 130-150k
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On the other hand - if it's the "plain" (n/a) diesel non-turbo - you will get one the best workhorses ever made.
It's not a quikie - but a darned steady & reliable puller - making it an outraging comfortable runner.
As it's an elderly large Citroen - it would certainly have it's odd's and weirds in the electrics - but no headscratching problems. Common logic by observing how it could possibly fail - and you find the problems.
The body & suspension has many similarities to your XM - especially the rear suspension which is almost identical.
But the front suspension has the old type double wishbone suspension - which makes it softer on front.
The DIRAVI servosteering is at first a VERY weird experience - NEVER let go on wheel to let the car take up from a curving.
The self centering action is best described as AGGRESSIVE - supposed to be so.
Once you learn to drive it - you also learn that this servosteering is one of the major factors for the CX outraging high driving comfort.
Besides that - the Safari (Break) is a huge car. I believe you have to find some US import waggon to find similar boot/load space.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Thanks Anders and Phil, I will give it some thought and let you all know what happens.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yes !!!
Someone interested in a **real** citroen [:D] If it's a turbo II diesel it should be ok, all the porous block diesel would be dead & gone years ago.
The 2.5 turbo I's are apparantly very reliable as on the N/A deisels (we never got them in Australia [:(]). However we do own a very early '76 CX2200 diesel wagon (probably the only one in australia). Being a 2.2 litre N/A diesel dragging a huge car around, it is 'sedate' but the power is certainly adequate. It gets 38mpg if it never leaves town, and upto 42 on the highway.
Be warned though, these early Cit's are very contagious, before long you'll have a yard full of CX's, GS's, DS's and maybe even a traction. Really nothing drives quite like a CX (or like a DS come to that).
seeya,
Shane L.