Xantia 1.9 TD clutch slip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

conbhaill
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 TD clutch slip

Post by conbhaill »

My 1.9TD clutch has started slipping is there any adjustment I can make to pospone the the inevitable clutch replacement marathon for a few days weeks?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If it has a manualy adjusted cable see that it has some play and is not tight, thats the only thing you can look at.
When you drive it be aware of its condition and try not to induce slip, it will go for a long time in that state, but remember, if you need to floor it to clear a junction in a hurry it could leave you in trouble.
Dave
conbhaill
My Cars:

Post by conbhaill »

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

And to give you some more hope...
We bought a ZX TD the other year for a very low price as the owner found the clutch was slipping, say when boost came in at 50mph in top as you went to pass something.
We ran that for a further 10,000mls after an initial cable adjustment. Two more adjustments were needed in its (the clutch) last period to stop slip before it finally needed replacement.
However I find the Xantia will need doing sooner as it has more weight to pull around.
My Xantia 1.9TD is suffering in this way at the moment. I usually do a Xantia clutch over two days and just can't spare the workshop for my own car at present.
David