Vehicle Support Points

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petrolhd
My Cars:

Vehicle Support Points

Post by petrolhd »

Hi Ppl,
I need to elevate the front of my 306 to do some repairs but have difficulty locating suitable axle stand support points. The Haynes manual suggested using the side sill of the car for support with axle stands but I find that this point will soon succumb to damage and rust if it is used to often.
Today, I tried to use one of the outer chassis member that runs length wise of the car but the axle stands left a deep dent/mark on the point of contact despite being cushioned by a piece of rubber about 15mm thick between the axle stand and the member.
Are there any other vehicle support points that can be used that will cause minimal damage to the underside of the chassis which will eventually lead to rusting ?
I could place the axle stands on each end of the front subframe but am quite hesitant to do so as I need to maximize the distance of the axle stands width wise to ensure stability.
Thanks
petrolhd306
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Support front of vehicle using the rear of the front subframe, as close as possible to the bolt's that secure it to the body, use wood to spread the load and prevent slipping.
Providing you are on sound level ground, stands will be far enough apart at 600mm-700mm centres to be safe, this is the point I use to support vehicles at the front, it is also the point used for trolley jack's by tyre fitters and the like.
The rear is simple on Peu/Cit torsion bar suspensions, the cross tube is very strong and can be jacked at it's centre while stands are positioned along side.
Good Luck
Dave
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

Thanks for the response Mr. Burns
petrolhd306