Bargain Basement Motoring

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Bargain Basement Motoring

Post by Paul-R »

Fortunately exhausts seem to last much longer than they did 30 - 40 years ago.

The last vehicle I had to replace an exhaust (or even part of an exhaust) was my 1989 Austin Montego estate. The 2001 Xsara and 2003 C5 that succeeded the Montego went on to their next owners with original exhausts still present. I think I had to have a minor spot of welding on a bracket on the Xsara but that was all. The current 2013 C5 X7 and 2015 308 have required no attention at all.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The first part of the job is now off the car and on the grass.
DSC06095.JPG
The upstream O2 sensor looks decently removable, the downstream one less so.

the Upstream plug at the end of the wiring looks to have been mangled somewhat on one of the pins. More likely on assembly than on removal. May well have caused some gremlins.
DSC06098.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The sensors are out, new ones or reuse that is the question?
DSC06100.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Now they are out they won't be too hard to get out again if they don't work properly, so I'd carefully clean them with brake cleaner and then insert with a dab of copper grease and try them. If they work you'll save splashing out!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Mick, Yes it was quite a surprise when a reasonably sharp blow with a hammer on the end of a 22mm spanner loosened those sensors so any necessary replacements could be done quite easily.
Not sure if a simple resistance test can prove whether an O2 Sensor is good or bad..

On looking at the evidence of my dismantling I could probably have got away with a more bargain basement result ie one clamp renewed between the cat and centre pipe.. :)

Major goal is to get it through that fast idle emissions test at the next attempt, The last test was done with an obvious leak of exhaust gases at the cat/centre pipe join, simply fixing that , may well get the emissions pass needed on its own.

A couple of new O2 sensors might further assist, and that damaged pin on the old upstream one may even be contributory factor to that emissions test initial fail.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great work so far Neil :)
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 17:19 Not sure if a simple resistance test can prove whether an O2 Sensor is good or bad..
No, not really, it can only confirm the heating element is not open-circuit.

Do you have a diagnostic system for this car that will show live data from the sensors? That's the only way to know if they are truly good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 17:52 Do you have a diagnostic system for this car that will show live data from the sensors?
Not in the bargain basement toolkit Jim :-D

The only intervention is fit new sensors should live data come up with anomalies in the sensor function and I am leaning towards just doing that, plenty on the net local factors under £30, NGK and Bosch a little more. I think the best opportunity for an emissions pass for this MOT in the shortest time, will be fitting new sensors along with the new cat, eliminating the doubt of whether the old sensors are good or bad.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, fully understood Neil!

One way to (kind of) determine if the sensors might be OK is if the Lambda readings on the emissions result sheet is within limits...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim. These were the emissions test results...
CitroJim wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 05:14 One way to (kind of) determine if the sensors might be OK is if the Lambda readings on the emissions result sheet is within limits...
The Lambda min limit/max limit are 0.970/1.030
Fast idle Test results
RPM 2795 (Pass) CO 0.387 (fail max 0.300) HC 17ppm (pass) Lambda 1.028 (pass)

Second Fast Idle Test
RPM 2823 (pass) CO 0.005 (pass) HC 9 ppm (pass) Lambda 1.037 (fail)
Bit of a marginal failure but test was done with a leak of exhaust gases between the cat and the center pipe (after downstream O2 sensor.)

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That was quite a marginal fail Neil... I'd say from that the sensors may be a bit tired but the leak will not help. Cat looks as if it might be good...

I've seen tired sensors where they get very slow to react.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

The random hand has played its part :)

When cleaning the downstream sensor it made a break for freedom and escaped the embrace of the cleaning cloth, and landed softly on concrete and came off second best...

Nice when your options are ruled down to one

New sensors it is...

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 28 Feb 2024, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Definitely duff now then!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh, and don't use cheap eBay ones. They last no time at all in my experience...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Ever wondered what a lambda sensor looks like without some of its clothes?

Not exactly a Big Clive detailed dismantling but the result of a 3 ft. drop onto concrete. Fragile as an egg. The white stuff looks like ceramic of some description.
perched on top the new sensors box
perched on top the new sensors box
CitroJim wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 10:02 Oh, and don't use cheap eBay ones. They last no time at all in my experience...
Not me Jim, I've gone for quality with those CAMBIARE sensors, right wiring plug, £43 each from the local car parts shop. (Yes I've never heard of them either but right now they'll more than do particularly if in their newness they get the emissions back in the pass zone :-D )

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 15:24 Ever wondered what a lambda sensor looks like without some of its clothes?

Not exactly a Big Clive detailed dismantling but the result of a 3 ft. drop onto concrete. Fragile as an egg. The white stuff looks like ceramic of some description.
Zirconium I believe Neil....

The sensor is, in effect, a small weak battery that uses oxygen as an 'electrolyte'. The downside is that it needs to be very hot (>800 degrees I believe) and hence the need for a heater around it.

Pleased you have good quality ones :D
Jim