Any Train Buffs?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Any Train Buffs?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Is anyone able to advise the location of this Railway Tunnel?

Its somewhere on the Fort William to Mallaig Line and I suspect it's likely to be prior to the Glenfinnan Viaduct. I believe the train was travelling West.

I was watching the new Channel 4 series "Coastal Railways with Julie Walters" (it aired yesterday I think)

....and thought it'd be nice to 'be there' and get a 'proper pic' in this lovely location, as the Steam service "The Jacobite" comes through.

Seeing as there was a camera crew present it'd seem likely there's vehicle access to the line side.

We didn't go to Scotland this year, so its definitely on the itinerary for next year. The car's not been since 2015, as we had the stressful and incredibly expensive 'garage mis-diagnosed a chaffed fuel line and associated Fuel Pump fiasco' back then and went in daughter's 106D instead (4 up, all adults, 500miles each way!)
Attachments
Rail Tunnel.jpg
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Any Train Buffs?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just the sort of thing I enjoy a delve into :-D but others may jump in with the answer for you before I get the chance today to look!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There's a short section of tunnel with the track right next to the road and a handy layby with access to the tracks about a quarter of the way from the eastern end of Loch Eilt towards Glenfinnan. I'm only guessing that's it though.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

This is another image I have found similar to yours.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oli_g_15/9512446558/
62005 - Beasdale Tunnel

LMS 'Black Five' 44871 climbs away from Loch Nan Uamh viaduct, up the 1 in 48 gradient towards Beasdale tunnel on Wednesday 3rd July 2013.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't know that line very well but the one from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness and then Wick/Thurso which she left on we have driven alongside of a number of times.

Some years ago Victoria Wood travelled that line, we had been to Plockton and followed it as far as Lairg - intermittently, when we got home and put the TV on there she was following the same route, only on the train. She stoppped off at Helmsdale and went into our favourite fish restaurant 'La Mirage' where we had been a few days earlier.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

....and this is a very nice picture of a class 37 "growling" its way through the tunnel and up the gradient to Beasdale

37 424 growls up Beasdale bank on the 14.05 Fort William - Mallaig

Making a racket as it tackles the 1 in 50 (2%) grade between the two tunnels at Beasdale the Eastfield ETH equipped Tractor has an odd combination of an air-conditioned Mark 2, two Mark 1s and a single oil tank. It was very lucky that the train was a perfect fit for the location!

The Mallaig workings remained the last outpost of 'mixed' working on BR at the time.

Loch Nan Uamh, at the end of the Sound of Arisaig, is some distance below the train now, yet was only just crossed by a viaduct less than a mile away.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 19:06 ....and this is a very nice picture of a class 37 "growling" its way through the tunnel and up the gradient to Beasdale

37 424 growls up Beasdale bank on the 14.05 Fort William - Mallaig

Making a racket as it tackles the 1 in 50 (2%) grade between the two tunnels at Beasdale the Eastfield ETH equipped Tractor has an odd combination of an air-conditioned Mark 2, two Mark 1s and a single oil tank. It was very lucky that the train was a perfect fit for the location!

The Mallaig workings remained the last outpost of 'mixed' working on BR at the time.

Loch Nan Uamh, at the end of the Sound of Arisaig, is some distance below the train now, yet was only just crossed by a viaduct less than a mile away.
Regards Neil

Sweet :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Now there is a fascinating tale about 37424, but I will not bog down this thread with it but take it to Picture of the Day, or The Pickled Egg Library...but which one?

Both of course :-D
Pickled Egg Library
POTD

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 04 Dec 2017, 15:15, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 14:34 Now there is a fascinating tale about 37424, but I will not bog down this thread with it but take it to Picture of the Day, or The Pickled Egg Library...but which one?

Haynes wrote a BoL for the Class and based their strip-down on 37424?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 14:52 Haynes wrote a BoL for the Class and based their strip-down on 37424?

Very Possibly but no deviousness from me I have edited in the links to the other threads where the story is told....

I enjoyed it anyway!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've just seen the answer in the other threads Neil...

One word... Magical :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 11:26 Is anyone able to advise the location of this Railway Tunnel?

Its somewhere on the Fort William to Mallaig Line and I suspect it's likely to be prior to the Glenfinnan Viaduct. I believe the train was travelling West.

Bang on with your original request, and for anyone who just likes good photography...

What a back drop for a Railway :-D if you just click on the right arrow or left arrow on this Flikr gallery there are loads of stunning photographs of that particular area of the line. I suspect if you get up there with your camera a few others will have had the same idea.

Regards Neil

Beasdale bank (just over 1.5 miles, almost all at 1 in 48) has four tunnels, two at the bottom and another two roughly half way up. After levelling off at Beasdale station there is a bit more climbing through Borrodale tunnel (at 345 yards the longest on the line). From the bottom, at Loch Nan Uamh, to the summit is just over three miles.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

its taken me a few days to follow up these really helpful comments - a combination of poor health and Christmas related performances with a Community Choir. Thanks everyone for your help.

I've traced the Loch Nan Uamh Viaduct, Neil, I think its here somewhere, as pictured. Added it to my 'Scotland Info' to explore next time. That's some Flickr Gallery you linked to in your later post, wow!

I've got part way along a virtual journey of the A830 Bobins, hows the attached for a view, stick a Steam Train on the line it'd be perfect! Ah, bonny Scotland!

Windows 7 Snipping Tool is a useful bit of software by the way... possibly available on later Operating Systems too... [I wouldn't know, my techno-cynic viewpoint 'gels well' with my finances :-D ]

Some further links of interest just to share having found the sites in the course of further researching the helpful advice given.

Victoria Wood Crewe to Scotland (possibly only as far as Ft William, 45mins, not yet viewed]

Beasdale near Arisaig https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/B/Beasdale/

Beautiful photography: http://www.westhighlandline.org.uk/ don't miss the very small left/right navigation arrows just below and to the left of the main images

Also added one of my own images, going back to 2008, with the proprietor of a Catering Van in a Layby on the A82 wasting his energy attempting to get a Reindeer to 'shoo' away from the tempting whiff of his Bacon Sarnies and the distinct possibility of easy titbits. Front corner of my 405 in the foreground. PoTD candidate perhaps!
Attachments
A82 towards Crianlarich 0551.JPG
Loch Eilt.JPG
FCF Loch Nan Uamh Viaduct.JPG
Puxa