Clutch how much is fair?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Clutch how much is fair?

Post by Stuart McB »

It's been years since I had a clutch fitted and to day on the way home I noticed that my ZX td cluch is starting to bite rite at the bottom of it's travel. Good for a few hundred miles yet but how much is a fair price to have a clutch fited on one on these? Also how long does it take. I'a little to lazy to do it my self. Last one I changed the Austin Maestro has just been launched. By the way I talking west midlands money / prices. Any help appreciated.[:)]
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

depending on how much needs to come off i would expect about 4-6 hours to do the job.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Call Mr Clutch (118 118 will have the number under this name) and they will give you an exact quote.
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

To replace the clutch on my ZX 1.9TD I was quoted £260 + VAT by a main dealer and £180 + VAT by a clutch and exhaust centre.
Did the job myself with a clutch kit from GSF @ £83 + VAT.
Fitting takes around 3 hours in total because so much else has to be removed in order to access the gearbox. Removal and fitting is well documented on the forum, but do have someone with you when you remove the gearbox - it is too heavy for one person to handle alone.
Stephen
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

The allowed trade time for a ZX TD clutch is 6hrs. That is far nearer the mark for most folks than 3hrs. You can waste 20mins just getting off an air filter housing with seized bolts!
Do not forget the sundries like fresh gear oil and seals.
A price of £180+vat hardly allows for a workshop to make a decent job.
Stephen's warning about weight is well justified. The safest way to do this is use a strap round the gearbox from an extending arm type engine lift. It is a huge advantage to have the thing suspended when you are trying to joggle it into position on refitting.
The most important tip I would give is to make sure you fully understand the way the pull-type clutch lever needs marking so that it engages the release bearing on replacement.
David
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Got mine done, 89 AX..
£180.00 which included Towing to garage (23 Miles)
[:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Thanks for all the reply's. So it aint as cheap as I thought then, but hey it's only money. Again thanks for the info.