MIL - 90 HDI in limp mode

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

MIL - 90 HDI in limp mode

Post by dave_xsara »

Hi,

Recently serviced the car. New oil, fuel & oil filters plus oil change. When I went to start the car after replacing these items the MIL (engine warning light) came on.

It was indicating MAF and Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. MAF fault was removed without the need to replace the MAF itself. This has been replaced but the fault still remains.

We've no idea as to what caused this. Fuel comes from same supplier as previous. Pressure sensor has been replaced. Car drives fine up until approx 2500rpm when the limiter kicks in keeping it in limp mode.

The only messing about I was at, was in the dash trying to reset the service indicator. However, I can't see that as having caused this issue. Correct?

The service has been carried out numerous times before with no issue.

Any ideas?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: MIL - 90 HDI in limp mode

Post by EDC5 »

Can this be air in the fuel rail following the fuel filter change?

What pressure is the fuel rail at compared to the set point?

Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Did you read the fault(s) using a generic ODB2 reader or a proper Citroen Lexia?

If not then use a Lexia, it may well give you a clearer idea of what's happened...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you follow the wiring down from the fuel pressure sensor about 6 inches you will find another yellow 3 pin connector clipped onto the block just above the sump, this plug can cause problems, cut the plug out & solder the wires together. Remember to do the wires one at a time as if I remember right the wires are different colours on either side of the plug.
Try this first.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Post by dave_xsara »

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in replying.
Turned out be be a corroded wire between ECU and sensor. Resolved now and going correctly. MIL has been cleared also. Went to a dealer in the end as I needed it fixed ASAP.