Transplating Aisin 6 speed from a Chinese 508 into a 407 possibility?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlvinCitroenC5
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C5 II

Transplating Aisin 6 speed from a Chinese 508 into a 407 possibility?

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

Hi,

I have a 407SW 2.2 (EW12) with the AL4 transmission which I am quite disappointed with the ratio spread. I am wondering if I can transplant the Chinese made 508 (or a late model 408 with the 2.0 gasoline 2.0 with the Aisin 6 Speed) with the 2.3L 4 cylinder gasoline engine that has the Aisin 6 speed transmission. To begin with, does the mounting holes / dowels located the same as the 2.0 or 2.3 engine? Does the output shaft / torque convertor spindle / input / length etc. the same? I am willing to give it a shot if the hardware can be fitted. I am able to source custom made driveshaft to the front wheels, thus, the challenge is to get the TCM to talk to the rest of the vehicle, but I am willing to give that a shot with one of the guys here that have experience with chip modifcations of both the TCM and ECU here in China to get the tranny to shift right. I understand that this may be a long shot, but it is worth a try if I someone knows if a 4 cylinder engine's 6 speed auto from a 2.0 or 2.3 will mount directly to the EW12 block.

Thank you very much.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Transplating Aisin 6 speed from a Chinese 508 into a 407 possibility?

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think the 2.2 engine usually had the 4hp20, not the al4?

The chances of getting the software adapted to work with a different engine would seem to be quite slim. Have you found someone with experience in this kind of thing?
AlvinCitroenC5
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C5 II

Re: Transplating Aisin 6 speed from a Chinese 508 into a 407 possibility?

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

I do know both people from ZF and Aisin. However, they will only have time to help, but not do the work for me. By the way, can someone tell me from first gear to second gear, what is the maximum RPM for it to shift. And what is the maximum speed for the transmission to kick down from second to first? I have found that on my car, first gear upshift when the RPM reaches 5600 RPM. However, on second to third, the engine reaches 6100 RPM before shifting. And the transmission does not kick down from second to first when the vehicle is at a speed of about 50 Km/h (with he throttle pedal's kick down switch depressed at full throttle). Thus, when going on a slight uphill on-ramp onto the highway, once the vehicle shifts to second and reach about 50Km/h, it gets very frustrating when I need power to over-take, but it will not kick down, because at 50Km/h in second gear, the engine is at about 3200 RPM, where there is little torque to pull the car onto a slight up-hill curved on-ramp. This is especially frustrating with 4 adults in the car. So, I am not sure if there is software upgrade, or maybe there is a solenoid issue with the transmission, as being able to kick down from second to first and using the engine's remaining 500 to 600 RPM (5600 RPM to 6100 RPM) will be quite helpful when I need the power. That is the main reason as to why I really want to switch out the transmission. I have driven a Chinese made 508 with the EW10 mated with the Aisin 6 speed automatic and it is so much better in these situations.