C4 VTS 180 Not starting due a sudden ABS/ESP fault and some...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

schnick18
My Cars: Citroen C4 VTS
Renault Avantime V6

C4 VTS 180 Not starting due a sudden ABS/ESP fault and some...

Post by schnick18 »

Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a mare with my (was) wonderful C4 VTS 180. It's a 2005 model.

I've had no problems with it, parking sesnors have an error but nothing to worry about.

Last week however, I was driving to work on the motorway and a random error suddenly appeared on the screen showing ABS/ESP error (or something of the sort), the car slowed down to limp home mode and I pulled over where I turned it off and tried to restart. No luck.

The recovery man ran a diagnostic and it came back as faults with all 4 coils and injectors. However, i do not believe this is the fault.

After some messing around (it did start once but then wouldn't restart and it was done this since but still shows the faults I'll list below) the following faults have come up and stayed.

-TPMS faulty
-Lane departure warning faulty (I have this fitted)
-ABS/ESP fault
-Braking system faulty
-Airbags / pretensioners faulty

Like I said it will start after a few days, but then it turns it self off. Battery has been recharged and made no difference so I know the battery is good.

I suspect it could be a fusebox, ECU or wheel sensor issue. As it has been taken back to my home, I will need to pay to have it transported to a garage so anything I can do at home would be great.

I'm borrowing a friend's car at the moment and want to fix this ASAP. My Avantime is also sat around broken so that's not an option!

FYI I'm located in Solihull. I do not have access to Lexia.

Any help and advice would be massively appreciated!!

Thanks

Nick
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: C4 VTS 180 Not starting due a sudden ABS/ESP fault and some...

Post by 411514 »

Might be worth firstly checking the security of the plug that connects to the ABS block.

The block is behind the front bumper on the passenger side. To access it properly you need to remove the front bumper (which isn't difficult), but you may also just about be able to access is from under the bonnet with the bumper in place (it is covered in a black plastic rain guard).

The plug can degrade and can then tend to become loose or detached from the block (particularly if the bumper has a knock). This will show an error on Lexia, but will also prevent operation of the starter motor. I have our plug cable-tied to prevent it coming detached.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
schnick18
My Cars: Citroen C4 VTS
Renault Avantime V6

Post by schnick18 »

Hi

Thanks for the message I will check this.

The car is turning over so starter motor is turning, but it won't fire due to all the errors!

Should mention as well that the Service, engine and Stop light are illuminated as well as all the written messages on my navidrive.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

schnick18 wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 12:15 The recovery man ran a diagnostic and it came back as faults with all 4 coils and injectors. However, i do not believe this is the fault.

These are classic faults you would get with a faulty main ECU relay, which on this car is an integral part of the under bonnet fusebox.
Are the injectors getting a power supply ? you really need an injection system wiring diagram to proceed further without guesswork.