ZX: water injection

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

ZX: water injection

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

im in the process of modifying/tuning my zx td, has anyone tried water injection or sprayin water onto the intercooler?are there any noticable improvements?
Vanny? didnt you do that one your BX??? any good?
Dan
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

It was an intercooler spray using an extra water bottle, some pipe and a BX style spray bar to spray water onto the intercooler. To be honest i hadnt expected it to make much difference but when the car had been running for a while and was all warmed up, flicking the swithc and spraying the cold water onto the intercooler made a notable difference. Specifically it was much smoother and possibly a bit quicker pickup, but the smoothness was notable. Only problem i found is that i never fitted a one way valve, so all the water would leak past the pump and onto the floor once topped up (making it semi pointless!). Could have been seals in the pump i suppose, but im betting on air coming back up the pipe.
I havent fitted it to the new car, but will reconsider once i can find a way to make smaller holes and put it under more pressure (making the spary finer and colder?)
I have had a look at water injection and it seems pretty sound in theory, could possibly be combined with NOS to get a quelching? effect and a lot more power without risking the engine. I'm rebuilding the TD in the summer, so i will consider doing this then.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmm...
Vanny -
- is the water cooling of the intercooler not simply sort of compensating for a too small (short) intercooler ?
- of course there are space (and other practical/technical) limitations on how big an intercooler you can fit - and then water cooling could be a suitable option.
How fast does this water cooling reacts to noticeable improvements ?
- is it dependable as an extra umph needed for overtaking ?
I'm just curious - out of technical interests [:I]