C5 new electrical problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

faddy
My Cars: 2008 C5 VTR+ 2.0i Auto

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

C5 new electrical problems

Post by faddy »

A couple of new issues today on the C5 X7 that I've owned for nine days. Until today, the auto headlamp setting turned the lights on a lot later (darker) than I would switch them on myself, but today the opposite happened and they came on in quite bright conditions. Then when I got home I had a "parking brake faulty" message which I've not seen before. Car seems to be almost permanently in Eco mode, and coupled with the above issues I'm wondering whether it's a sign of the battery on the way out, though car came with a receipt for a "3 year battery" bought in February last year.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 new electrical problems

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It might be worth charging it up (on vehicle is best) - but be wary if you have a Battery Charge Status Module (I didn't get your VIN so I'm having to ask and make assumptions - which it would be easier if I didn't have to :) ) ...

See my post here for that explanation:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... le#p552289

Do you have the EPB system or manual hand brake?

If EPB, coupled with all the other issues, it smacks of a low or weak battery. Give it a good charge (always good pre-winter) for peace of mind, and see how you go.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
faddy

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

Post by faddy »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 19:54 It might be worth charging it up (on vehicle is best) - but be wary if you have a Battery Charge Status Module (I didn't get your VIN so I'm having to ask and make assumptions - which it would be easier if I didn't have to :) ) ...

See my post here for that explanation:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... le#p552289

Do you have the EPB system or manual hand brake?

If EPB, coupled with all the other issues, it smacks of a low or weak battery. Give it a good charge (always good pre-winter) for peace of mind, and see how you go.
Oh, go on then......VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. It's got an EPB.

Thinking I could do worse than to try swapping batteries between cars though I haven't yet looked to see if they're the same (t'other car is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff])
faddy

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

Post by faddy »

faddy wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 21:41 Thinking I could do worse than to try swapping batteries between cars though I haven't yet looked to see if they're the same (t'other car is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff])
Of course the easy way to check is to look them up on ECP and unsurprisingly the diesel takes a higher capacity and slightly longer battery - and even if they can physically be swapped I'd then be selling the older car with an inadequate battery [-X