C5 2.0 HDI suspension hydraulic pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garrydog
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDI suspension hydraulic pump

Post by garrydog »

Hi
Got in my car this morning and the hydraulic pump for the suspension was making an awfully noise, so I take it that the pump is in need of some TLC. My intension is to remove the pump and if I can refurbish the motor, can someone please tell me .
How to depressurised the system , I have a Lexia if needed, and also a general outline on how to remove the pump.
My car is a C5 vtr 2.0 HDI 2004.
Thanks.
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: C5 2.0 HDI suspension hydraulic pump

Post by wurlycorner »

You do need a Lexia to depressurise the system - there's an option in the menu to carry that out.
I haven't done it myself, but I assume when you select it, Lexia will give you any step-step instructions necessary to complete the depressurising process.

Hopefully someone else who's done the task will be along to describe more definitively than I can :lol:
Alternatively it might be worth a search on the forum to find threads where others have done it before now?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

wurlycorner wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 13:27 You do need a Lexia to depressurise the system

You don't need Lexia to de pressurise the Hydractive systems.
You can de pressurise the Hydractive system by opening the de pressurising valve on each axle after putting the car in low.
The location of them depends on whether it is hydractive 3 or 3+.
If its 3+ the valves are on the stiffness regulators where the centre spheres are. If its not 3+ there are pipe unions with the valves on them. the rear one is at the rear axle near the height sensor & the front one if I remember right is in the OS engine bay near the strut top. The valves just look like brake bleed nipples.
The rear union with valve can be seen at 1:15 in this video at 12 o'clock to the height sensor.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You don't need to depressurise the system to change the pump, just set it on low once you have it jacked up and on stands, RH front wheel off, under wing protector off, disconnect the rubber hose at the bottom join to drain out the oil into a pan, remove the hose clip at the top of that hose (it won't come out through the hole under the pump with the hose on.)

The rest of it is pretty straightforward, disconnect the wiring and the pipes from the pump, undo the nuts underneath and lift it out.

Reverse the procedure to refit it, it should self bleed but if it doesn't you need to raise the pressure in the reservoir by half a bar 7psi, you can do that with a bicycle pump and a bit of adapting.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Well, I'm mistaken then - I thought I'd read everywhere that depressurising was required for anything intrusive on the system and it could only be done with Lexia! (Though this had always surprised me, after a lifetime of working on LHM citroens!)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes after all BHI units can go faulty meaning you don’t even get communication with Lexia so you wouldnt be able to de pressurise the system to change it.
To be fair I probably wouldn’t bother with a full de pressurise either. I normally just drop it into low too when working on the systems.
garrydog
My Cars:

Post by garrydog »

Hi
Thanks for the info on this but the pump is working as normal now . Trying to find a replacement pump now , maybe the existing pump won't last long. If the pump fails then will I be able to drive the car ,just to get home?
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You won't be able to drive it anywhere if the suspension settles at the bottom, you will drag the underside on the ground with the slightest bump in the road.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.