307 2.0 hdi 2003 wont start no fuel from Fuel pump/ electric gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JEREMYH
My Cars: C15 VAN 53 plate one of the last working C15 Vans in the country doing upto 1800 mile a a week

307 2.0 hdi 2003 wont start no fuel from Fuel pump/ electric gremlins

Post by JEREMYH »

My daughters 307 is in my garage
!st the Anti pollution message comes up and it goes into limp mode

Change Fuel filter to start with
Now no fuel is come from the injection pump . In addition to this the drivers window will not go up and the ecomoy battery message is comong yp although this may not be related
Battery is fully charged half a tank of fuel in the tank

When I put the inlet pipe into a small container and turn the ignition no fuel comes out
Am I missing something here does the fuel cut off if the top of the filter is disconnected ?
Where is the next place to look on this car /electrical system

Im OK with Citroen C15s and old Saabs but these modern cars do my head in

Many Thanks Jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 307 2.0 hdi 2003 wont start no fuel from Fuel pump/ electric gremlins

Post by RichardW »

Jeremy

The Eco mode won't stop it starting, but it will stop the window going up and down, as you have discovered. This will clear when the engine is started.

It's probably got a Siemens injection system, so there is no lift pump in the tank. These can be difficult to prime once the fuel filter is removed Try pumping the primer again till it stops gurgling, wait a bit, then pump it again, then wait a bit, then pump it again. It may then start, but may not want to idle / cut out - give it some revs to get over this. If you post up the last 8 digits of the VIN I can check which injection system is fitted. Once you have it running again, you can see if the EML has cleared - if not, then you will need to get some diagnostics on it to see what it is upset about.
Richard W
JEREMYH
My Cars: C15 VAN 53 plate one of the last working C15 Vans in the country doing upto 1800 mile a a week

Post by JEREMYH »

Thank you for your quick reply Richard

I think I have got my head around this fuel system now in many ways
1) I was not priming it properly I was turning the key off too quickly it was not until I listen to pump clicking that I realized this .You also need to keep the ignition off for a bout 20 seconds before turning it on again
I was expecting fuel to come from the injection pump regardless but we are priming the whole line ,like the old skool ! I was not aware of this
I flattened the battery ,jump leaded my van to the car and got the pug running !
The battery saving thing has gone off as you said This also enforces your fact the eco mode does not stop it starting

I have now fitted the new fuel filter and glow plugs The has not solved the anti pollution fault so tomorrow I will take the the air system off and inspect that
My code reader is reading bad link and that is not good !
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

An anti-pollution fault might be triggered by running out of fuel, which is effectively what happened when you changed the filter. This may disappear after a certain number of engine restarts - I think 5 or 6. Don't fret until you've done those restarts.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
JEREMYH

Post by JEREMYH »

Well we got to the bottom of this job in the end
I change the fuel filter as I posted I cleaned the air system and changed the filter I had some new glow plugs and put them in as well

Start engine and I still have the Anti pollution fault ! Code reader will not read it comes up error link

Took it to local garage and diagnosed no 1 injector faulty . £380 for a new injector ! This promoted the most industrial language We are very conversant in this vocabulary here in Cullompton Devon !

Phoned a bloke in Hudersfeild and he did one for £30 Luke wacked it in started it and it now runs perfect !

The answer to this story is No1 injector

The moral of this story if we need one is always phone a bloke in Huddersfeild
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very unusual if its an 8 valve engine, never had an injector fail on one yet and I have had four, two of them well over 200,000 miles - always a first time though.

Peter