Citroen Relay 2.2hdi starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tommyboy
My Cars: Citroen relay 2010 2.2hdi

Citroen Relay 2.2hdi starting problems

Post by Tommyboy »

Hi All,
I have a Citroen relay 2.2hdi 2010 van that's having trouble starting whilst cold.
My immediate thought is the glow plugs need changing, as as soonit's been running a while and the engine is warm starting again is no problem. However in the mornings I am having to give the plugs 20-30 glows before the engine finally starts. My confusion is that as the engine eventually runs the glows plugs must be doing something! So was thinking the glow plug timer or thermostat could be faulty (not sure which I have)
Any thoughts before I remove the common rail to get at the pesky plugs!?
Cheers
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Citroen Relay 2.2hdi starting problems

Post by jgra1 »

I keep hearing a derv trying to start on Monday mornings! (3 x 30 turns) and I get to thinking if they could start with a plug or two gone ... eventually? the heat must build up at some point? someone will answer our questions :) (I can't tell if this one is mech or electric injection- I suspect electric)

anyway..no help to you Tommy !

my 8 valve old school hdi 2.2 had a failed plug or two when I rebuilt it .. but didn't try and start it before I rebuilt it -in winter..
Bick

Post by Bick »

I would change the plugs and start from there
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Glow plugs don't really do much on Hdi engines unless you live in Siberia, it could be that the engine is not turning over fast enough either because the battery or starter motor need replacing, or it could be the pressure regulator on the HD diesel pump.

Peter
Bick

Post by Bick »

Peter.N. wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 13:00 Glow plugs don't really do much on Hdi engines unless you live in Siberia, it could be that the engine is not turning over fast enough either because the battery or starter motor need replacing, or it could be the pressure regulator on the HD diesel pump.

Peter

Yes you are correct peter i forgot about the starter motor problems on the 2.0hdi's - have come across a few poor starting and it was the starter motor not turning the engine fast enough although some have seemed fine buy ear.
Tommyboy
My Cars: Citroen relay 2010 2.2hdi

Post by Tommyboy »

Cheers for the replies! I've got a new battery in the last couple of weeks as the other one wouldnt hold its charge any longer then a couple of days so don't think its that! Could you explain a bit more as to why the starter would not work on cold days though? And also pressure regulator, how would I go about determining whether this would be the issue or not?
Thanks again!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The fall off in performance in cold weather is due to thicker engine and gearbox oil causing more drag and if its extremely cold it can affect battery performance but if the starter sounds noticeably slower when cold could be a worn motor.

Check for around 14.4 volts across the battery with the engine running to make sure the alternator is charging properly.

Peter
paulboulton89
My Cars: Citroen relay

Post by paulboulton89 »

Was this ever resolved cos I got problem changed starter got just one click