Help - BX LHM Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Help - BX LHM Leak

Post by ScottFromNZ »

This morning my car has sprung a leak. LHM is dripping steadily from around the area of the drivers (Right) side cross member.When the engine is shut off the leak stops in a few seconds.
I have put the front of the car up on stands and the leak looks to be coming from one of a bunch of several small plastic pipes. But they are in such an awkward position that I can't see which actual hose is leaking. The run up sort of through the cross member and were all gathered together with a plastic tie (which I have removed. Some a shielded also.
I think I will have to take it to a garage where I can get it on a hoist to have a better look. Where the leak appears to be from is the hardest area to see the pipes properly. Maybe one as chafed through or something?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sounds as though it's coming from the octopus. Not an expensive item but a bludger to fit. Best done hose by hose.
You're pointing in the right direction getting it up on a hoist where a light can be shone up into that area & better access obtained.
We blew one on a series one 16V & used a piece of copper capilliary tubing as a stop gap until the new octopus arrived.
I would suggest doing it as a DIY job if the local garage hasn't done one before as I think they'll slug you an arm & a leg & still only half do it.
Alan S
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sounds like the Octopus pipe to me. Had one go on my old BX19RD; only took about 4 hours to change taking my time, changing one pipe at a time. It's fiddly, but not difficult.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Top Tip for octopus changing, looking a the rear of the crossmsmber there are two plastic pipes which run alongside the fuel lines and plug into the octopus in an impossible place, you can save a lot of time by cutting these where they are plainly visible in that area, when replacing the octopus, plug the cut off pieces into the new octopus and join em with bits of pipe cut from the old one, those are the worst bit of changing it and will save lots of time.
I replaced mine whilst the engine was out a couple of weeks ago and it was still a bu**er of a job
Good Luck
Stewart
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That's a neat trick Stewart- I'll remember that.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Being spoiled driving LHD's [8D] - with much better access in Octopus location (no steering pinon valve in the way) - I still have a couple of Tips :
You all remember that short (5") hose on "top" of Octopus ?
- it connects to the smaller stud on the HC as the HC's leak off (not the return).
This short hose is a swine to reach in and connect. Simply join another 5" lenght from old octopus (fresh piece) using 2" of old rigid 3.5mm pipe. Makes a world of difference to fit this hose then.
<font color="red"><i><b>Scott :</b></i></font id="red">
Chances are you have a completely different problem - worth checking anyway - postponing the swine of a job replacing the Octopus.
The <i><b>return</b></i> hose from the HC has a very sharp angle right after the stud. This hose is <i><b>not</b></i> part of the Octopus - but a separate hose. It's one of the 2 smaller moulded on to next large dia hose on reservoir - which connects to PR and/or FDV return studs.
If this hose is split/cracked at HC stud (it usually is !) - then loads of LHM will leak out once the car is lowered in suspension height - by nature as it is the working return.
The second hose moulded on to this next large dia reservoir hose is running to the back of the front subframe - where it connects to the rear HC leak-off rigid pipe.
This smaller hose complex is known as "Small Octopus"
Here comes my second tip :
Exactly this hose can in fact split again shortly after replacement. Having experienced this - I've decided to replace this hose and mating stud on HC - with a lenght (approx 1.5m) of standard 3.5mm rigid pipe with pipe union one end - the other end open.
The open end is then joined to the cutted original hose approx 10" before it moulds into the larger one. Chances are that this mod will outlast the car - as the steel pipe is well protected by oil spills down there - opposite a new rubber hose which will detoriate again rather fast.
My present runner is the 3.rd BX with this mod implemented.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

My old BX19RD octopus connected straight onto the front HC..should there have been a small connecting piece, or is this one of the differences between a LHD and RHD one?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Phil -
As a leaking Octopus is a very common problem on elderly BX'es - chances are that a previous owner either did a fast mod - or connected the new wrong.
Looking in BX spares list I can't find a different part no for LHD/RHD Octopus.
The differences in that area are the location of the steering pinion valve and brake master valve - nothing to do with the Octopus anyway.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It was probably like that when i got it (leaking as well!). I just replaced like for like, not having access to a genuine workshop manual, just the Haynes BOL (what a lot of use that was..). If D615ETP is still knocking around, then it needs its HC pipe fixing!!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Took car to Citroen Mechanic today - recommended to me by the Citroen Club. Drove about 30 kilometers to garage and even though it was a steady drip the level hardly dropped at all.
He had a look and when I called back he said that it is the octopus leaking. He has one coming tomorrow. I have asked him to carefully check the rest of the hydraulic system and relace any other pipes that do not look 100%.