Fell off the stool and hit my head on the sink!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Fell off the stool and hit my head on the sink!

Post by rossnunn »

Had an insane idea while sitting looking at my 1.9TD Spares pile....
1.4i TURBO!
Jon

Post by Jon »

1.4 Turbo what?? [}:)]
You mean that you're actually gonna take a saw to the 1.9 to make it an economical 3 cyl version?? [:D]
Please eleborate! Excuse my spelling.
Or, you propose a turbo on a 1.4 petrol, oh, dear.[:(]
Anyway, joking aside, I don't see that a turbo off a 1.9TD is any good on a 1.4 petrol. Is it??
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Must have hit your head hard.... LOL!
Don't expect the 1.9 Turbo to be too good on a 1.4; it would cut in too high (then it'd be like a Metro Turbo to drive where the turbo comes in 1000 revs before the limiter..)
Be fun to try, I have to admit!!
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

turbocharging a 1.4i....hmmmm good idea but somehow i dont think the 1.4 head/block would take the pressure??? how would you increase the fuelling when on boost? maybe an additonal fuel line to the intake for when on boost?
let me know any ideas you have!i might seriously think of it for a project...
Dan
Jon

Post by Jon »

Dan, seek help. Those 1.4 Tu engines were great at blowing head gaskets before 30,000 miles when someone drove them with enthusiasm. Heaven knows what they're like with a turbo fitted. No, no don't go there.
Focus your energy on a 1.5 TU diesel with a turbo, that would last about 5 mins. Then add 16valves and call it 1.4HDi and wonder why.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

On a serious note...
A BX17TD unit might be better, or just use the manifold and pinch the turbo off a Renault 5GT Turbo (keep it French..)
Find a low compression 1.4TU lump and nick the pistons, or even the conrods out of a 1.6?
Aftermarket ECU and a bigger injector (it is TBI, isn't it?), all remapped (try a Megasquirt if you know how to hold a soldering iron and configure Windows - £200)
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

what about the rare 1.6 ZX model??? tat be better!? there was one on ebay yesterday!
i think ill stick with modding my TD...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

there are plenty of saxo vtr's (1.6) & westcoast/furios (1.4) + the equivalent pug models going about with turbos & superchargers in them so it is possible.i think they put thicker & stronger competition head gaskets in them and/or skim the pistons ? to lower the compression & cope with the extra pressure.as for the fueling i saw a supercharged saxo vts & it had a different MAP sensor on it & i assume also uprated injectors.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>
.... they put thicker & stronger competition head gaskets in them and/or skim the pistons ? to lower the compression & cope with the extra pressure ....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
"Skim the pistons ?" [8D]
- that would be the most sure way asking for an engine crash with a turbo fitted [8][B)]
You must use new (stronger !) pistons with a different head design - to allow for the deceased CR. The CR is approx 9.5:1 on standard and approx 8.0:1 on turbo engines.
The cam should be replaced for slightly different valve timing - to have the whole project be worth doing efficiently.
It is in fact possible to do these mod's at fair expenses - but it's not exactly cheap. And while you do this the complete engine should be overhauled ensuring no weak points from it's early life is left over. Engine has to be completely dismantled anyway.
There are lots of serious engine tuning websites around - even some with experienced owners telling you step by step how to beef up any engine. Chances are you can find a project description that exactly matches your engine type.
As with anything in real life : everything fun & sporty tends to cost you .... loads .... [:)]
If you're seriously interested in motoring an races - then find & join a local motoring club - the best way to avoid beginner's traps and money wasters - and to meet experienced people with same interests.
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

you mean somehow reduce th stroke? i.e. different sized pistons or rods?copper head gaskets would be needed, the head would have to be in pretty good shape too
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Not necessarily reduce the stroke as move it down the bore a bit so difference between volume at down and volume at up (piston) is less = lower compression ratio. The stroke is defined by the crank, so remains unchanged. The effective engine capacity is also the same, but when the psiton reaches the top of the stroke there's more space left, hence a lower CR which is what is needed on a turbo lump. Time to get a calculator out, though...
A copper head gasket would be a good idea, prehaps even ringing the block..
Just noticed my earlier post - is the ZX an XU or a TU lump?
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

ZX diesel is an XU, 1.4 petrol is TU i think
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

That's what I thought, so don't think the turbo exhaust manifold will fit...back to the drawing board??
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

as was said previously, a manifold from a renault 5 gt turbo may fit, (i think i have one in the shed), the gt turbo runs a garret T-2 turbo i think, so the TD one should fit the manifold without many probelems.
DAn
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

alwight lads lol it was only an idea, just to bolt a turbo off a ZX TD and see what see run's like!! lol, as to a post further up about the turbo being like a Metro;
A TD's Turbo comes in around, 2K rpm, a desial runs alot slower than a petrol, so produces less puff. Bolt the turbo to a petrol, which runs alot faster, producing more puff and the turbo SHOULD come in alot quicker....
you could chop the manafold up from a TD & Petrol to produce a hybrid, then get the ECU remapped. The old Meastro's you could remap the ECU yourself, shame the ZX isn't the same!!
What you'd the insurance people say!!!
R