LED headlight bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

LED headlight bulbs

Post by crapday69 »

Has anyone tried to fit LED build in their headlights. I was thinking about fitting these but I would have to adapt the back cover of the headlight to allow the heat sync to protrude out the housing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... s&_sacat=0

Gary.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: LED headlight bulbs

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No and I never would with headlamps Gary. The headlamps and the reflectors are simply not designed for the light characteristics of an LED. The beam patterns must be correct to pass an MOT - but also must not dazzle other drivers and must switch on and off instantly - even when hot. An extract fro the DFT guidance:
“it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.....”
I expect that this would also apply to LEDs too.

If you decided to go the whole hog and replace the headlamps too with an aftermarket kit - I'm not sure how insurance cover would be affected to if the car was altered from it's type approval - so another thing to consider. :wink:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Try either Osram Nightbreaker +130, or Philips Xtreme, first - if you haven't already.
Both are approved halogen bulbs, original wattage, but light output is really impressive.
Stick to standard white in both cases; any tint will cut the light output.
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

^^^^^^^^

What Chris said !! :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Osram nightbreaker are the way to go,
Now, having fitted a pair of these to my xantia https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIGHTEYE-2X- ... 2749.l2649
I can tell you that whilst they are Bright they have a very defined beam pattern and shut off point unlike Normal bulbs, they dont fade out, resulting in lamps needing to be adjusted to suit the coverage area, i am goung to run a relay on the bulbs to make sure that they are getting the right power and then utilise one of the unlit quiet lanes close th me for alignment, the 6000k colour tint is borderline useful, any higher and its too blue and no real use, std bulbs emit 4300k ideal colour is 5000k for clarity of vision,
I also picked up some of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H1-Xenon- ... 2749.l2649 initially for the fog lights but they are too long, they do fit in std lights but the bulb opening needs a little filing down. However, they are quite frankly Poop! Due to the design, no forward output at all, i put mine in the high beam and they made zero notable difference between on and off apart from the hedges where very well lit up!
I have reverted to std bulbs in the high beams, i picked these up as a cheap experiment due to thinking that mibe were off driving under streetlights a few times, i like the clearer output of the bulb, will see if they improve with the relay powering them or not, having recently fitted nightbreaker bulbs to the wifez modus, i suspect a pair will be heading for mine soon too! ;)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor