How to remove the gear selector & handbrake cover C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

How to remove the gear selector & handbrake cover C5

Post by atr »

Hi members
I would like to ask for your advise on how to remove the cover between the front seats on the C5 II (2007 petrol), the cover that encloses the gear selector , the handbrake, the switch to raise and lower the vehicle an so on.
Thanx.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: How to remove the gear selector & handbrake cover C5

Post by 411514 »

From memory, remove the rear ash tray to expose the two nuts that secure the rear of the console to the floor. Undo the two nuts, and slide the console rearwardly (of course undoing the various wiring connectors).
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Re: How to remove the gear selector & handbrake cover C5

Post by Estately »

I think that there should be 2 10mm nuts under the rear ashtray as Sam has described. The ideal removal tool would be a 10mm socket on a long extension bar, as long as the cover is deep. To avoid loss of the nuts when they are undone try putting some kitchen roll on the nut before putting the socket onto it, that will keep the nut in the socket. You will not be able to get your finger onto the socket/nut to hold it when it is removed, same for reassembly.
The little tray in the cover in front of the gear stick can be eased out with a thin broad blade as can the base of the gator round the gear stick and also the flat plastic cover around the hand brake leaver.
I find the electrical connections very difficult to remove and reconnect so if you can leave them connected whilst working under the cover it will be less frustrating.
Cannot remember if there are a couple of 10mm nuts under the front section accessed by removal of the tray in front of the gear stick, it will become obvious.
The front of the cover interlocks with the base of the dash and needs a squeeze to get a good refit on reassembly.
Hope that helps.
If it can happen it will.