ML5 Gearbox/selector/gears

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DorsetRich1
My Cars: 406 2.2 HDi 2002

ML5 Gearbox/selector/gears

Post by DorsetRich1 »

Hello all,
I've been through the board looking for solutions (some come close). Could anyone give me some ideas?

The car in question is a 2002, 406 2.2l HDi.

A while back I parked up, returned to my car and went to pull away. I couldn't get the car into gear! Eventually I managed to get into R and then what felt like 3rd and crawl home (much to the distress of the clutch as I pulled away leaving a lovely clutch burn in my wake).

Finally I've got 'round to having a look at getting the car back on the road. I can select all gears (with some effort) EXCEPT 4th (the stick feels like it's hitting a brick wall).
I've checked the lever arm (removed, cleaned greased, refitted) which seems to be OK (bit clunky).
Drained the oil (seemed in good nick with only minor fillings on the drain plug).
Admittedly the box is currently dry (as I popped the cover to check for a loose 5th gear fork pin) but as I say, I can get all gears with the exception of 4th.

Any ideas? (I'm loathed to get a new box or drop this one out if I can help it).

Cheers all.

Rich
DorsetRich1

Re: ML5 Gearbox/selector/gears

Post by DorsetRich1 »

For future ref. If it's helpful to anyone doing similar things;
The nightmare that is the gearbox filler plug, I found an old imperial sized spanner (not ring) fitted really well and was thing enough to allow access.
The drain plug I found I needed to grind an 8mm square drain socket down to 7mm (which fitted perfectly).
Removing the lever arm I used a long 16mm ring spanner put on backwards (anything else wouldn't fit or got blocked by various bits of car).
Swearing at a gearbox doesn't make it work :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

More than likely problems with the selector cables... Either one or the other has stretched or the outer one or the other has become detached from its mounting plate and is allowing too much lost motion as a result...

I never worry about the ML5 filler plug... I just drain it fully and then refill 1.8l of Total BV 75w/80 through the reversing light switch hole...

These 'boxes are very critical of oil and only the above or an equivalent 75w/80 is suitable... Anything else really upsets the sweetness of the gearchange...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That oil is now Total Transmission 8 gear oil (spec, as Jim says, 75W-80, and importantly GL-4).
Citroen/Peugeot parts counters will have it. It's not expensive.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 18:31 That oil is now Total Transmission 8 gear oil (spec, as Jim says, 75W-80, and importantly GL-4).
Citroen/Peugeot parts counters will have it. It's not expensive.

Thanks Chris, didn't realise they'd changed the name of it :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DorsetRich1

Post by DorsetRich1 »

Many thanks for the advise. I'll avoid the Halfords 75/80 oil then.
The cables are both secured to their bracket. I'll have a look at the other end (stick end).
Seems a bit odd that I can get it into 5th and 1st & 2nd ok if it's a cable issue (the lever arm has to lift fully for 5th and swing fully for 2nd).
DorsetRich1

Post by DorsetRich1 »

Odd related Q...

On the end of the selection arm is a short ball and socket rod that seems to go down to the mount. What is it's actual purpose? it doesn't appear to do anything other than anchor the arm.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a new one on me... Normally there is what looks like a counterweight in the position indicated...

What's on the other end of that rod exactly?
Jim

DorsetRich1

Post by DorsetRich1 »

The counterweight is there (follow the arrow further and you'll see it). The other side is where the cable connects for the horizontal movement of the arm (ie fwd back on the stick).