Happiness is a C5!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

centurus2400

Happiness is a C5!!

Post by centurus2400 »

I know I've had some expensive problems on my C5 tourer over the last 12 months, steering rack, leaking front strut, and borked EGR valve.
However, last week I had the misfortune to be taken on a 100 mile + trip in a colleagues car, a fairly recent Mondeo estate.
While it might have been more sprightly than my C5, being manual rather than auto, I was distinctly unimpressed with the amount of road noise, the hard suspension, and the not so comfortable seats.

Never was I more pleased than to get back into my own car at the end of the day and travel home in comfort and near silence.
I won't be trading it in for a Ford any time soon :-D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Happiness is a C5!!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I think sometimes it's only when you drive other cars for some time that you do appreciate getting back in your C5. Just driving around for a few days in a conventionally sprung DS3, C4 Picasso or Cactus and the like as courtesy cars from my dealer when having work done highlights how much I enjoy getting my C5 back, despite its odd quirks.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember after having driven my first CX trying out a Volvo 240, apart from the comfortable seats the noise and vibration levels were like a '50s car, I later drove another and it was just the same so I drove hydropnumatic Citroens for about the next 25 years.

Peter
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

I hate being a passengers in spring cars, i feel everything and its not nice. Think i am extra sensitive to it as i've only ever had hydro Citroens my entire driving life (1 BX, 5 Xantia's and 2 C5's)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

^^ Ditto^^ Except for company cars of course!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

centurus2400 wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 10:45 I know I've had some expensive problems on my C5 tourer over the last 12 months, steering rack, leaking front strut, and borked EGR valve.
However, last week I had the misfortune to be taken on a 100 mile + trip in a colleagues car, a fairly recent Mondeo estate.
While it might have been more sprightly than my C5, being manual rather than auto, I was distinctly unimpressed with the amount of road noise, the hard suspension, and the not so comfortable seats.

Never was I more pleased than to get back into my own car at the end of the day and travel home in comfort and near silence.
I won't be trading it in for a Ford any time soon :-D

That's bad luck having 3 things go in the space of a year. I've just changed a front strut myself and whilst I was under the car inspected the steering rack. It all looked shiny and silver so hopefully it won't leak!

Most other cars are lacking in the comfort side of things I think... as James May says: engineering for the Nürburgring ruins cars! At least with the C5 you get comfort most of the time and level cornering for fast bends when needed.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I would like to add that having bought a mk 2 C5 my initial worries about more computerisation have been abandoned completely 47. 9 mpg on a run is a little lower than my old Xantia but as for comfort I think it beats the Xantia sx hands down. The 1998 235k Xantia would have emptied my pockets and my saving account by now this year but the C5 has been wonderful for reiability it has passed another mot in July with flying colours and no advisories at all. It cost me no more than having the rear calipers cleaned of corrosion, a new set of tyres and a couple of oil changes and diesel and oil filters. I am well pleased and my move to an auto x7 hopefully will be as pleasurable. 10 months on I still have 5mm left on my front tyres after 8k the rear are wearing a little faster than the Xantia tyres did but the outside edge of the front C5 tyres are like new I think this car corners better at high speed. Just a shame I will have to sell her when the right auto comes along. £160 road tax to,thats only ten pound dearer than a 2cv.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.