suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hubcap

suspension

Post by hubcap »

Hi...... what is the difference between suspension spheres and the accumulator and anti sink spheres on a 95 xantia sx i.8? I was given two ordinary suspension spheres by a friend and was wondering if i could use these to replace my accum. and antisink spheres which are on the way out.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The accumulator and anti-sink spheres don't have the restrictors (dampers) fitted. Not sure what the effect would be, though.!!
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Hi Hubcap. The anti-sink spheres have no control over ride height. They stop the car sinking on its suspension when the engine is off. The accumulator sphere in all hydraulic Citroens maintains system pressure and absorbs the shocks and pulses that can travel throughout the hydraulic system whilst driving. It also stops the pump working harder than it needs to. If you are getting regular clicks and other noises from the front of the car for instance whilst waiting in traffic your accumulator sphere may need changing. Assuming an anti sink sphere would fit in place of a strut sphere or accumulator, without any form of damping restrictor, as Phil states, the ride would be very hard - much like a worn out suspension sphere. GSF will be able to help.