C5 - a teaser !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

C5 - a teaser !

Post by AndersDK »

[:)] me wants wun [8D]
- by sheer coincidence this morning I parked next to a C5 sedan - and had to sidestep away to clear the C5.
WHAT A HUGE CAR it is - at least as big as my old CX resting home in my driveway !
Never thought of that - as the bodydesign makes it look a lot smaller from a distance - a teaser [^]
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I thought the exact same when I bought my first Citroen - an XM hatchback. I read somewhere the CX held the record for the widest production car made in Europe. Not sure I like the C5 saloon but the estate looks ok. I also want one.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

They a hell of a size inside them too - by far and away the widest car in its class. I bet its not far off a BMW 7 Series. They can be a bit of a barge to manoever in tight spaces at times - parking sensors are a must!
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I really disliked the C5 when it first appeared, odd thing is that it seems to be growing on me. Was in a queue of traffic side by side with a metallic grey one this morning and found myself admiring it to the point where I realised the occupants were all staring at me.
I wonder if the driving position is any better than the Xantia, I suspect it will be an improvement.
Mark
Jon

Post by Jon »

yes, I am beginning to find the C5 more attractive, and the old phrase " a lot of car for your money" keeps repeating in my mind.
I'm going to wait until the sorted out ones get a bit cheaper though.
Whilst on this happy C5 thread, I was dismayed to see a 53 plated C5 Estate on the hard shoulder of the M4 tonight with the RAC van from Citroen Assist in attendance. Bet the owner would love to add to this thread. [B)]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I saw one in a layby last week - suspension jacked right up on high, indicators and headlights flashing, front windows going up and down and a rather confused looking older gent stood next to it scratching his head. The AA van had just pulled up from a local garage, I know Neil the mechanic who turned out and I'll ask him what was going on next time I see him.
I find the driving position great in them, you sit a bit higher up than in a Xantia and the seat backs are much higher thus more comfortable. I love the armrests on the higher spec models and its something I've really missed since - I used to have mine set so I could change gear with my arm on it and still hold the steering from the same position which makes for very relaxed driving.
I'll probably end up with another one, going to have a play with the knocking one tomorrow and see if I can find out whats up - the dealer has told me its too young for the suspension to be the early type and said its probably the spare wheel moving around. I'm going to run it in and get them to take a look if the guy will lend it to me for a couple of hours.
Its a bit of an odd situation as the guy selling it knows nothing about it and there's no service book in it, nor a V5.
Jon

Post by Jon »

My old mate Paul Noyce has a 2.2HDi on sale. (See below)I could have bought the thing for only a few £100 more than the Berlingo HDi. Dunno what Mrs W would have said about that!
Paul used to be the Sales Manager at Broads of Watford when I worked there, and sold my Mum the faithful ZX I still drive, blah blah.
http://www.paulnoycecars.co.uk
Anyway, below shows that these C5's are cracking value s/hand (I hope!)
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive , Diesel, 2002 02 Reg , Rainforest Green, Hatchback, 23,000 miles , 5 Doors. 1 owner from new, Adjustable Seat Height, Adjustable Seat Lumbar Support, Adjustable Steering Column, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Multichanger, ABS with EBD and EBO, Centre Rear Seat Belt, Climate Control, Clock, Computer, Electric door mirrors, Electric Windows, Front Fog Lights, Front seat armrests, FSH, Heated Rear Screen, Immobilizer, Multiple airbags, Power-Assisted Steering, Remote central door locking, Rev Counter, Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners, Steering Wheel Mounted Controls, Tinted Glass, Colour Satelite Navigation System, Velour Upholstery. For more information or a test drive appointment please call 07831 428013 £9,995
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Thats a good price, especially considering its got the SE pack, would have cost at least £20k new. I'd snap his hand off if he'd take my Focus off me in p/x and was a bit closer.
I've agreed £8,200 for this 03 plate 2.2HDi SX I'm looking at, its done 22k, its in very good nick but there's no documents with it. I don't doubt its been serviced, the oil filter has no fitters mark on it and the indicator shows its ready for doing in 2500 miles. It was owned by a small company thats gone bust, the guy selling it is a liquidator and its all kosher, my accountant put me onto it.
If it turns out to be no good, I might give this guy a ring. Shall I drop your name or not ;)
Jon

Post by Jon »

If he remembers me, its been years!
If you do fancy mentioning me then I'm Jon, or "Wobs" from Andyspares to him.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've always loved the C5 and those I know who have bought them out here are over the noon with them.
Problem is for me to own one I have to first win Lotto; check out our local prices..
http://www.chevroncars.com.au/stock/M31005.html
http://www.chevroncars.com.au/stock.html
I'll be down buying the Lotto ticket if anyone wants me.[:D]
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

Buy me a ticket will you Alan mate, cheers. [:D]
I have this bizarre "money no object" dream just recently of a BX 16v with a C5 2.2 HDI under the bonnet chipped up to close the BX 16v original BHP. The BX of course being much lighter and sexier than a C5! Oh, and, its got "proper" LHM brakes and suspension! Meow!
[:)] [:p]
Doctor, Doctor, bring my tablets and a glass of water! Make that a bottle of red.[;)]
Anyway, on a more serious note, I'm hoping that we'll get a few more C5 owners on this Forum now that they are coming out of the 3 year warranty, and being sold on to private buyers, it would be great to have some constructive C5 fixes. I reckon that Wheeler is also a bit of a C5 guru as well. When I have found someone to help me mend one, I'm probably going to replace the ZX with a C5 HDi when the old girl finally collapses into pieces (this could be some time as it shows no sign of giving up yet, apart from the original clutch)
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Christ thats over £20k! Over here they give 3.0 V6's away because nobody wants them!
Other than transports costs, are their any barriers to importing one from the UK for personal use?
Looking round a C5, they look pretty straightforward to service, but theres next to nothing mechanical on them. The hydraulics are all electic and under electronic control - for example you cannot drive with the car on high above 6mph, it won't let you, the height correctors are not small electronic sensors (potentiometers I'd imagine) and are about £15 each, and theres lots of electrovalves. Brakes are conventional so no problems there. They should be pretty reliable, as long as the electric pumps have a long life and the multiplex electrics stand the test of time.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Buy me a ticket will you Alan mate, cheers. [:D]
I have this bizarre "money no object" dream just recently of a BX 16v with a C5 2.2 HDI under the bonnet chipped up to close the BX 16v original BHP. The BX of course being much lighter and sexier than a C5! Oh, and, its got "proper" LHM brakes and suspension! Meow!
[:)] [:p]
Doctor, Doctor, bring my tablets and a glass of water! Make that a bottle of red.[;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now you're talking, Jon...
...Just make mine a nice Rose, though. Not into full bodies ones like that (wine or C5's; well i'm not sure about the C5 yet)
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Couldn't agree more. I've never liked the look of the C5 and thought I might have to go away from Cit to replace my 1999 Xantia 2.0 16v Exlusive.
I've got a pile of brochures by the side of my bed which the missus keeps falling over and cursing. I'm looking at everything from Skodas to the Jaguar X-Type SE.
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, comes with the kit that the C5 Exclusive SE comes with, and I've even started to find it strangely attractive!
Do you know what I would miss most and can't find on anything? The nearside door mirror dipping when you select reverse. Makes reversing into the drive a doddle!
Jamie
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Lexus IS200?
As I mentioned, I'm not sure on the C5 personally just yet...give me a couple of years when they're in my price range, and i'll probably jump at the idea of one! For now, I'll stick with old school (says he with a VSX Xantia...)
Still fancy a good CX at some point though...Wish i'd bought that 2400 Prestige Auto Series 1 when I had the chance for £125...shame I was a student and the headlamp it needed was 4 weeks worth of grant money!