ECU Calculator Locked C5 2,0 SC KBI -04

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

femtiolappen
My Cars: C5 2,0 SX KBI 2004

ECU Calculator Locked C5 2,0 SC KBI -04

Post by femtiolappen »

Hi

I am trying to ask here because the Swedish forums are not very helpful :|

Everything started 2 months ago! I burned the hydral pump, when I switched this I moved over the data box that sits on it so the new pump got the original box from the car! The pump started immediately, because it would not go dry, I pulled out the connector to the box! filled with oil and put back the connector. Started the car and swung around with the steering wheel and used the buttons to raise and lower to press the system! I started and shut down several times! Until it happened !! The car did not start anymore, Imobelizer fault, esp / asr not working.

I towed the car to the Citroen workshop! They found that the ECU Calculator was locked and it had to be replaced. They also tried to encode the keys and it worked! The fuse box was also tested with a new but working!

So they ordered a new ECU / Calculator from Citroen in France, delivery took almost 4 weeks. Box and coding cost a total of 1500€ :(

The car started and they tried to make sure everything was okay. I went the same day to pick up the car. Paid 1500€ and would start and drive home but the car does not start! So I had to go home without the car and without money. Now I have talked to them and they have found that ECU / Calculator is broken again! So why it break? They have no more ideas, so I ask here!

Sorry for bad English hope you understand!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: ECU Calculator Locked C5 2,0 SC KBI -04

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There seems to be 2 issues here if I understand you correctly.

If you are talking about the ECU from the BHI (Electrohydraulic Pump), that should not need coding if it is the original one that was on your car, BUT it might need configuring again if it has been removed. I will check on this.

The second thing is you are talking about ECU Calculator? As you have mentioned car keys, I am assuming you mean the Engine Injection ECU? If this is correct and you have had a new injection ECU, then you need a matching BSI and Key Transponder chip for the car to start.

Can you confirm what has been replaced?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

It's the Engine Injection ECU which had locked! They brought home a brand new from France mounted it and encoded it and the car started! 3hours later when I come for the car it not worked! Same issue as before (imobelizer fault) and the new ECU is locked!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so we know it is the injection ECU.

So as I said before, you must have a matched set of:
Engine (Injection) ECU
BSI (Not the under engine Fuse Box - that is not the BSI and people get the 2 mixed up)
Transponder chip (in the Key fobs)

If you are still getting the ECU locked and the car is not starting then they have not coded it properly to the BSI - or they have done it incorrectly, You only get a few chances to code it before it locks and is useless. If the main Citroen Dealer did the coding - take it back to them (get them to tow it at their expense) as you paid them to code it and it has failed. If they argue - contact their head office and provide them with the invoice details and complain - you have rights - if they have diagnosed it and recommended the part and fitted and coded it and it is still not correct - you really should dig your heels in and keep on at them.

Marc
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

ECU was new and you only have a chance to code. Once they had coded the car worked just fine! Later that day it did not work again ECU was locked! When I called them yesterday they said that the new ECU was probably broken! So what makes ECU break?

Maybe there is something else that's broken, maybe my old ECU is okay?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They should be able to tell using their diagnostic kit that is linked to the PSA servers. They have a set of troubleshooting diagnostic procedures that they follow with tests along the way and this will narrow it down. In either case - it isn't right - you have paid for a new unit and they need to get it working - there is nothing you can do to lock it - this will be something that has happened wither during programming or it is faulty, In some cases, when they are configuring a BSI unit, their own instructions require that they download the configuration file to the ECU several times as a minimum to ensure it is fully programmed in - and then they are manually required to check the options are also correct.

So it's not as straightforward even for the dealer - If the engine ECU has been coded correctly then something else might be locking it like the immobiliser - did they code ALL keys at the same time? If you have 2 keys, they must both be coded at the same time. If they only do one key, the other key will not work, which is why Lexia asks them how many keys in total to be coded.

Marc
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

Yes 2 keys are coded! It says on the display Imobelizer fault , I have pointed this out and asked if it could be the ring itself that reads the key at the ignition that is broken! But they say there is something else that spoils the ECU
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Sounds to me like a problem in the transponder ring or the BSI. I take it that neither of the two keys work. There are various ways of getting round the problem which are cheaper than the main dealer. One way is to use the BSI, ECU, radio and keys from a scrapped car. Some breakers include the dash but this is not necessary on your Citroën.
Another way is to Virginise the ECU and the BSI. This is done using equipment such as BDM, Galetto or similar and a Willem programmer for the BSI in order to load virgin files. This restores the units to the new condition. They can then be programmed using lexia diagbox or similar.
The last option is to have the immobilisers switched off
To replace a faulty ECU I usually clone a second hand one. However in your case it is possibly corrupted and cloning will bring across any software corruption.
This work can usually be done by anyone who does a remapping service.
However I would be inclined to start by doing the BSI reset which can be found on this forum by searching
I believe that solving the problem is the responsibility of the dealer who has taken your money.
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

yes none of the two keys can start the car! But both are new coded and when the ECU was exchanged the car started immediately. but after 3 hours it failed to start and the error message imobilizer error came up
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

IMG_4757.JPG
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

IMG_4772.JPG
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

After 1 week I have finally talked to them at the citroën workshop. They say that when they rolled the car back into the workshop, it started up! But when they shut off the car it does not start again.

I said I think it's reading that reads the key it's wrong and not the ECU box. He would talk to his colleague and return on monday! Do not think they want to admit that they are exchanging ECU completely unnecessarily
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

still waiting for the car 😕
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stick at it - frustrating I know - but they are trained AND paid to use the tools and find the issue - you've paid them, so I hope they have given you a free Courtesy car whilst yours is being diagnosed for the inconvenience to you!

Marc
femtiolappen

Post by femtiolappen »

Have had my car Citroen C5 -04 submitted now for almost 1.5 months when it stopped starting and the wrong imobilizer fault appeared on the display!
After troubleshooting, they found that the injection ECU was locked and that the box had to be replaced! It would cost 1500€ and was promised that they would go through so it worked perfectly !! I said ok to it! After a couple of weeks, the box came from France, it was coded and put in place! I got there paid 1500€ and would drive away but the car did not start the same error media came up Imobilizer fault and esp / asr not working! They had to keep the car and promised to fix it!
Now it has been a half month and they have come to the conclusion that it's start when hot and not at all when it's cold! With the old box it does not start at all! so according to them the car is fixed!!!
If you want to continue troubleshooting, it will cost more, they suspect now the fuse box inside the car, but I want my approval, it will cost about 700€
What do I have for rights? Maybe it's the box they exchanged as a Monday copy? Maybe it's the one wrong!
I'm sitting without a car, living in the countryside and we need a car every day! They gave me a car on Wednesday but they want them back now because it will be out for tomorrow!