LIve data advice please

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

LIve data advice please

Post by johntom »

Hi
My 46000 mile, 2007 Peugeot 207 1.4 16v hesitates when cold, usually when I get to the top of the street it runs ok and is fine when warm. The car has fsh, just changed the air filter and plugs which showed signs of black soot although the tips were sandy brown (all 4 the same), so I suspected the engine was running rich.
On planet live data (under emissions) the upstream sensor is continually fluctuating between ‘rich’ and ‘lean’, the voltage is constantly scrolling between 98 and 819mv. The downstream sensor sits at 780mv at idle, the reading is a continuous ‘rich’ and is in closed loop. No EML, no codes.

Is this normal, what does it mean ?

I have changed the coolant sensor, plugs and the map sensor with no improvement, no sign of corrosion on the ecu pins. Engine bay is immaculate.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: LIve data advice please

Post by MikeT »

Air leak maybe?
If downstream is correct, you may be replacing the cat next.
Can you post the fuel trim data?
johntom

Post by johntom »

HI where will I find the fuel trim data ?
Many thanks
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

johntom wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 21:22 HI where will I find the fuel trim data ?
Many thanks

No idea, thought they might have shown up alongside the 02 data? Is there a Fuel Information parameter-set to chose from in Planet?
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I photographed the screens inc the injection one, no mention of fuel trim only injection time (2.34ms). I will plug it in again tomorrow and search for it. Thanks again.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Just been out with the generic scanner. ST is scrolling from about -8 to zero. LT is 2.3% with MAP 10.6hg. As the car warmed LT increased to 3.8% ?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

There's no indication of an air leak or danger to the cat in the LT few percent, I retract my earlier guesses.
Not sure what the ST is doing though. Maybe a longer timebase would tell.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Lambda data looks OK - the upstream one always swings from lean to rich when it's working. The downstream one showing 'rich' is showing that most of the oxygen has been burnt with the CO in the cat to make CO2.

If it's only done 46k in 10 years, then it probably wants some injector cleaner in it, and a damn good thrash to clean it out!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lambda is normal compared to mine...

I find my 207 (with the ET3 1.4 16v engine) runs like a clock always from stone cold and never hesitates...

Is yours the ET3 or the later 1.4 engine? I suspect being a 2007 model it's the ET3...

Excellent engines they are...

One thing you may try doing in Planet is to reinitialise the engine ECU so that it goes through retraining and relearning session. I have found this can make a difference in the past. Planet tells you how and holds your hand all the way through the procedure..

Then it's critical, as Richard says, to give it a good drive, including a good thrash, to get it learned about all potential driving scenarios ;)

A full BSI reset may help too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi and thanks for your replies
So would you suspect that the hesitation is possibly caused by dirty/glazed injectors and what about soot on the old plugs, is it not actually running rich ?
Also do you know whereabouts re initialising the ecu would be, diagbox, pp2k etc ?
Thanks again
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

johntom wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 13:21 Also do you know whereabouts re initialising the ecu would be, diagbox, pp2k etc ?

Off the top of my head, no but I do know it's quite obvious once you're in the Engine ECU menu...

It's been a while now since I did it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Just wondering how long the car should stay in open loop from a stone cold start ?
I tried it tonight with the scanner plugged in and it was just a matter of around 20 seconds ticking over before the idle dropped down from 1100 rpm, is that normal ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that's pretty much normal... On a fairly warm day they don't stay open for long... Just long enough for the oxygen sensors to warm up (they're heated) and start to produce valid signals.
Jim

johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I added some injection cleaner the other day and took it for a swift 10 miles, again the car drove fine when warm.
Just started it again (scanner showed closed loop within a few seconds ?) it backed off the drive ok, it was slightly hesitant in first but it still bogs down when changing into 2nd ?
Eg. I revved it in first gear to 2000rpm (downstream o2 sensor -28?) by the time I got it into second the revs were at 1000rpm and the car didn’t want to go ?
If it was an old fashion car I would think the choke wasn’t on.
I’ve just changed the coil pack in addition to the plugs, air filter, coolant sensor and map sensor.
Any more ideas as I’m clutching at straws now, throttle body (already clean), head gasket, vacuum valve??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I would now be checking the whole inlet tract south of the throttle body for air leaks...
Jim