Xantia front height corrector pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Xantia front height corrector pipes

Post by Dommo »

Hello all

Currently half way through repairing my Activa front height corrector, and we've found that one of the 3 pipes is full of muck. It's the pipe on the drivers side of the car, on the opposite side of the other two pipes. I'd like to undo it at the opposite end and blow the muck out if possible.

Does anyone know exactly where this pipe goes? According to servicebox I can only see 2 pipes going into the height corrector, but it appeaers to be a pipe 925mm long, heading to the anti sink valve. Does anyone know if this is the case? The other pipe shown on service box also goes to the anti sink valve, so does anyone know where the illusive 3rd pipe goes to?

Thanks very much. Dom.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia front height corrector pipes

Post by CitroJim »

Are you sure it's not full of muck Dom?

I say as one of the pipes - the one that drains back as the car lowers down - has a restrictor wire inside it and that would give the impression of being blocked...

You'd be best advised also, if it is a bit mucky, to Hydraflush as if one bit is then many bits will be and all will benefit from a good flushing clean ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

CitroJim wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 14:38 Are you sure it's not full of muck Dom?

I say as one of the pipes - the one that drains back as the car lowers down - has a restrictor wire inside it and that would give the impression of being blocked...

You'd be best advised also, if it is a bit mucky, to Hydraflush as if one bit is then many bits will be and all will benefit from a good flushing clean ;)

Interesting, do you know which of the pipes it is with the restrictor?

I have a feeling it was a self inflicted problem when we were struggling to remove the HC, I think it was poking around in the dirt on the HC, doh!

There was certainly a bunch of dirt in the end of the pipe which we've managed to remove using a pin, but we have a feeling there's more stuck inside hence the need to attempt to blow the muck out from the opposite end.

Thanks for looking!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The one you describe as full of muck is the pressure feed to the HC Dom, that's if it is on the side where there's one pipe going in.

Easiest way to flush it is to briefly run the engine to get some pressure up and let nature take it's course as it were. I warn you it'll be a bit messy and have an assistant ready to switch off as soon as job done..

One method to make it a bit cleaner would be to attach a length of plastic pipe to the ends of all the pipes and lead them all into a large catch jar..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Apologies about the slow reply, I've bought a couple of height corrector rebuild kits from citroen classics and have removed both the front height corrector (when this issue occured) and while we were there I had the Activa 'height corrector' off to clean out, both were pretty mucky internally, despite a recent hydraflushing. I can vouch for the fact that muck in the height corrector does not get removed when hydraflush is used, unfortunately...

Anyway - we managed to clean out the pipe in question by using some isopropyl alcohol, a short spray in the pipe and its coming out clean now, phew!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Dom :D Glad you updated this as I hate it when threads are left dangling ;)
Jim

KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Jim.

There is nothing worse than having dangling threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.