Saxo 1.1i Coolant temp sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Saxo 1.1i Coolant temp sensor

Post by RichardW »

My mate's 98 Saxo is getting hard to start in the morning, and doesn't want to run when cold. Given that it seems OK on the open road and once warmed up, I suspect the CTS. Anybody know where it is, and what the resistance values should be hot and cold? Or, any other common faults?
Cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Never seen a Saxo under the hood [:)]
But can't believe this engine would be much different from other smaller TU engines in the PSA range of cars.
With your experience - I doubt you can waste more than 5min's to find this sensor [;)]
I'd certainly expect to find it near the thermostat housing - flywheel end of head. Later engines seems to be wrapped in all kinds of nice looking plastic covers - making it a nuisance to find anything on the engine [8D]
I believe later engines have a newer design combi-sensor for coolant temp warning/temp gauge/fluid level - which then would be either a 2pole or 3 pole sensor.
Don't mix up this with the CTS.
The CTS would be a NTC resistor - hi-resistance at cold & lo-resistance at hot engine. It's not the actual resistance value that matter's but the huge variation over temperature.
If the CTS is responsible for this Saxo problem - then it must be (nearly) shorted out at cold - since a lo resistance tells the ECU the engine is hot - causing cold start/running problems.
Note that this sensor has a smaller sister residing in the throttle body - the ATS sensor - for the inlet air temp.
It's checked the same way.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Richard,
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... xo,coolant
May prove useful. I never got round to fitting the sensor, the lad got a garage to do it, but it solved the problem nonetheless. Sensor cost about £20 from the dealer.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

remember its the green one for the cold start,the blue one is for the temp gauge/warning lamp.