Frustrating C5! Q1 Eco mode

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Y Cymro
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi Exclusive Auto

Frustrating C5! Q1 Eco mode

Post by Y Cymro »

I've owned a 2013 C5 Tourer for about 3 weeks and am being frustrated by some strange functions it has. The main issue is the Eco electrical mode whereby everything switches off after 5 minutes! If I'm sitting in the car with the engine off listening to the radio, it switches off and the eco mode appears on the dash. When I walk my dogs I can't open the tailgate when returning to the car without switching the engine on and off. Why only 5 minutes?! It wastes more battery starting the engine to restart the eco timer than if the supply wasn't switched off. I've checked and cleaned the battery terminals and did a BCI reset at the same time, without change.

I appreciate this is an ECU setting, but don't want to pay stealer rates for a fix. Could someone please suggest which type and version of diagnostic program I need for my Windows laptop (or tablet if there's an IOS or Android version available) to be able to switch this off? Or is there someone close to me in Swansea who offers a diagnostic service?

Many thanks
2013 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer, 2.0 HDI Automatic with Techno pack
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Frustrating C5! Q1 Eco mode

Post by Paul-R »

It's not something that can be switched off I'm afraid. Even dealers with access to the full panoply of equipment can only delay it to the maximum allowed (around 30 minutes) during certain functions. As a result for some procedures, such as updating the maps in the satnav, they have to leave the engine ticking over so that the updating can proceed unmolested.

The time until eco mode kicks in is mostly affected by two things. The first is that battery has to be in top notch condition. The second is that the time until eco starts will not be longer than the time that the engine has been running previously. So, even if you've been driving for three hours before stopping, apparently if you then start the engine for five minutes you won't get half an hour's radio. This situation can easily arise if you park the car and then have to move it slightly.

Apart from not being auto, your car sounds very similar to mine in age and specification. Out of interest does it have Perla Noir paintwork?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Just noticed the bit about the tailgate. I think you'll find that you can open the tailgate, it's just that it won't power up for you.

The procedure is to unlock the tailgate (either the button on the remote or the one by the number plate lamps) - this will be announced by a thunk and then some beeps to show that it's not going to open by the motor. You then have to lift the tailgate a little bit manually; the motors in the tailgate struts will resist but if you then give a small movement against the resistance this will give way and you can then complete the opening by hand. There's a certain amount of drag from the gears which make it more of a chore than a non-motorised one but, hey-ho, that's just the way it is.

If you want to get into the serious stuff of reading and diagnosing codes then what you need is a Lexia clone. It's more properly known now as a Diagbox clone but people still refer to it as a Lexia. The best ones, which you will need for your late model car, are full chip and should have revision C firmware installed. Lesser specifications will not be able to read as many of the on-board ECUs.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Y Cymro
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi Exclusive Auto

Post by Y Cymro »

Hi Paul
Thanks for your replies.
Regarding the eco mode timing, I only get 5 mins of power before this mode switches things off whether I've just got in the car without starting the engine, or driving for 3 hours before stopping. The battery is original but in good condition, starts the car effortlessly, and the battery terminals are clean (and I've cleaned them with 240 grit wet or dry just to be sure.
Regarding the tailgate, usually, eco mode kicking in means I can lift it manually, but today the motor wouldn't lift it due to eco mode, but remained engaged - I could feel the extra resistance of it so had to start the engine.

Regarding the colour, it's a grey named Gris Thorium. !

Could you offer a supplier where most people buy Diagbox?
Thanks
Last edited by Y Cymro on 01 Oct 2017, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer, 2.0 HDI Automatic with Techno pack
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There's countless people and places selling Diagbox kits - some much better than others. Easydiagnostics sell one that's used and got the thumbs up from many of us on here. They also offer great tech help. See this link for info of a discount that Easydiagnostics gave us :)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57990

Make sure you've got the hardware to support it before you take the plunge though :wink:
Last edited by bobins on 01 Oct 2017, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll just add that the notorious Economy mode has to be the worst on the C5 X7 over previous models. The X7 uses a lot of power - but moreso with the hydraulically suspended models as the BHI (Hydraulic pump) kicks in when the car is unlocked - so that is an additional drain over a the model with metal suspension over a period by comparison. Plus the X7 has a lot of electrical kit - some of which stays powered for some time after the car is switched off - all of which takes a toll over time. They use the economy mode to help prevent you discharging the battery inadvertently - but I never get more that 1-2 minutes - EVER, regardless of battery condition.

I do recall there was an issue with some of the Battery Charge Status modules fitted to the C5 X7, which were authorised for replacement if the car exhibited certain behaviour of randomly going into economy mode. I never got round to having the Module replaced - and couldn't be bothered now as I rarely sit in the car and if I am - I just start the engine as I know what's going to happen after a minute!

I have a higher power / output AGM battery on mine as I wanted something reliable - the type they use in the Start Stop vehicles that support regenerative braking. Although I don't have the Stop Start system, there is no way I can configure a higher rated battery in the BSI than the 3 options that are available.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A bit of a sidetrack to this, but I've got a dashcam powered from the rear auxilliary power supply (fag lighter to older viewers :lol: ) which seems as though it doesn't receive power if the car thinks it's low on electrons. A good run and a restart of the engine and - hey presto - the fag lighter gets power again !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When I installed my front & rear dash cams, I had some issues getting the right wire - but I finally solved it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56750&hilit=cigar#p521111
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc