Citroen c4 Grand picasso 1.8 petrol EML fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tinymartin
My Cars: Citroen c4 Grand picasso

Citroen c4 Grand picasso 1.8 petrol EML fault

Post by Tinymartin »

Today I got the following problem with my car, I sat at traffic lights at idle when suddenly the following warning lights came on: EML, parking brake, and depollution system warning. I've never had any problems before this. I turn the car off and then back on and all that was on was the EML so i drove home. I then put my own little obd2 code reader on the car and checked for faults using my phone app. It came up with p0302 and p1338. I turned the engine off and then back on and all that was on was the EML so I cleared the fault and the light went out and everything was fine. Ran the car again at idle and again after a couple if minutes the fault reappeared and the engine was in limp mode and running rough. Done 82700 miles, petrol and manual car. Please help
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen c4 Grand picasso 1.8 petrol EML fault

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

First, let me welcome you to the Forum (for whatever reasons). :welc:

I would suggest that, before you go any further, you arrange to get your Citroen onto a proper Lexia session. Most generic readers cannot properly read vehicles made by PSA, and either don't get any codes, or appear to make a best guess. There are forum members who have Lexia clones who are also willing to help out. Take a look through the following list to see who is nearest to you, and give them a shout;

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome!

Both those fault codes relate to a misfire on Cylinder 2. This link suggests a coil pack is likely cause: http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/p ... 227104.cfm

Pretty sure that PSA number cylinders from flywheel end, so No 2 will be second from the right as you look at the engine. I've got a Lexia, and work in Grangemouth, so may well be able to scan it for you if don't get any further.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Agreed with Richard - A couple of checks you can do - look at the plug in cylinder No 2 - see what sort of condition it is in. If it's really gunked up with oil and crud - there may be an underlying problem with the cylinder (engine worn). Put it back as is and change the coil over from say No 2 to number No 4. Clear the codes and start her up. If the fault shows a P0304, then the coil is likely faulty - replace the coil pack. If it remains with P0302 then change the plug.

A compression test would show if the pressure is down on number 2 cylinder - if considerably so then it's possible that the engine is just worn. Just keep replacing the plugs as needed and make sure you change the oil very regularly. If it continues to misfire or run rough (and you've checked for any other codes on a Lexia), you might need to think about whether replacing the engine is economically viable - probably not unless you can do it yourself.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Tinymartin
My Cars: Citroen c4 Grand picasso

Post by Tinymartin »

Just to update, I clear the faults on the ecu and the engine is running fine and on all cylinders. Taken it for several drives since and no problems. How much would you charge to check with Lexus?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What you might find, is that the faults may come back intermittently, so keep an eye on it. If the faults keep coming back, clearing them won't make the problem go away of course. Getting to the cause of the problem will help you decide what course of action to take next. I wouldn't rely on the vehicle when it is playing up like this as you might get caught out when you least expect it!

If you do find a member near you willing to help, it will an arrangement between the two of you. Some may just charge some petrol costs - but again, that is outside of the Forum and a private arrangement.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Testing the Picasso with a Lexia is likely to be more productive than testing her with a Lexus! :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!