C5 2.0 HDI Glow Plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danny_c5
My Cars: C5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

C5 2.0 HDI Glow Plugs

Post by danny_c5 »

I have read a fair bit of glow plugs for the C5

Cant now wont start - number of recent posts with issues.

The glow plug light comes on and goes off but cant wont attempt to turn over.

Would it be a good idea to change the glow plugs on the car or are they not really needed?

Cheers
danny_c5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Re: C% 2.0 HDI Glow Plugs

Post by danny_c5 »

I have disconnected the battery and going to leave the for a couple of hours and try and start later.

If it doesn't work plan to attempt to tow the car and try and get it started that way.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

If it won't turn over its not the glow plugs.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
danny_c5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Post by danny_c5 »

Cheers Dave

Any suggestions what this could be?

Second hand start motor fitted 6 weeks ago running fine till couple of weeks back and struggled to turn over last 2 weeks.

She's really starting to test my patience
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: C5 2.0 HDI Glow Plugs

Post by white exec »

Is battery ok?
Also check the main battery connections. If either gets at all warm when you try to crank the engine, then there's a dirty/poor connection there, which will prevent the high starter motor current from flowing, and will also deprive the glowplugs of their necessary current.
Clean up the battery connectors, or renew them (especially if they're original lead (Pb) lumps) with brass ones (H*lf*rds or decent motor factor should have some).
Check also the main battery Earth connector, where it goes to chassis/engine.
Chris
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

What Chris said is accurate.

What I would add is;
Does the starter motor click when you attempt to start the car?
The starter could be faulty, I would start by checking if it is being supplied current first to rule it out.

I would suspect, in this order.
1. Starter motor (assuming I read correctly that a used one improved starting then deteriorated)
2.battery
3. Leads or earth
danny_c5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Post by danny_c5 »

Elma

What you have said is all correct.

Start Motor does click but then goes silent.

Second hand SM worked really well but has deteriorated and car wont turn over today.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Nearly all modern diesels are direct injection and will start without glow plugs
Oh buggle
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If it's clicking no need to test for current as it is getting there.

The starter is a very high current draw so is actuated by a low current circuit. The click is the low current circuit throwing the switch so your starter either isn't getting the juice to turn it or is knackered.

It's still the same 3 options.

If it were mine I'd make sure the battery was fully charged then try to turn the starter over direct from the battery with the starter clamped in a vice. (I would do this on the car but I don't know if that would be bad for an hdi. Also I'm unsure how comfortable you are with electrics but I know you can remove and fit a starter.)

If that works you know the starters good at least.
Then either the battery isn't holding charge or you need to replace/clean leads or earth's.
If it doesn't work the starters kaput.

My money's on the battery now.
I'd be surprised if it were leads at this time of year but it could well be an earth which seem to sporadically go off on Citroen's.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I went round to have a look at Danny's car this afternoon.

First of all, the clicking wasn't from the starter motor but the relays in the BSI. The SM was completely silent. I then had a look at the starter motor region. I removed the intercooler hoses to get a better look at the motor area and then decided to give the motor a little shock treatment with a light tap from a hammer. Danny got into the car and turned the key and before I could use the hammer the engine turned over and started!

Obviously there is/was a loose connection somewhere but I've no idea what I did. However it repeatedly restarted and rummaging around wouldn't then cause it t fail so I had to move on. I suggested that Danny ask the chap who changed the SM to have another look at the area properly to see if he can see what the problem is. It could always be a break in the wire inside the loom of course!

Then we went on to reading the codes. There were quite a few including the ABS. From what Danny has been told I think one of the ABS sensors is broken or disconnected. I didn't have time or facilities to check unfortunately. There was coherence problem for the road speed which might be linked to that.

The temperature sensor in MAF seems to be duff. The steering wheel angle sensor threw up an error and might need recalibrating or possibly replacing. Hope it's the former. Minor problems from both door mirrors which threw up codes, there was screw missing from one and I wonder if they've both been replaced with ones from a lower spec car (Danny's is VSX).

Cleared as many as would respond and have suggested that the car is driven for a while to see what return and then go from there.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A good afternoon's work, Paul.
At least it's pointed up a cranking problem, and a good few other issues besides.
Chris
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

More than likely the starter motor brushes are either badly worn or sticking. Starter motors, and indeed most dc motors and the vast majority of alternators have carbon (or carbon copper) brushes. These wear in the normal course of use. The second hand unit you fit might have only minutes left to work until it reaches the same state as the one you are removing. On the other hand it may have years of life left.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

TBH I doubt it's the brushes as I didn't get to give the motor any shock therapy. I simply fiddled with wires.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
danny_c5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Post by danny_c5 »

First chance to get back on the forum since Tuesday.

Cant thank Paul enough for all the help and what a great and genuine guy 10 out of 10 for feedback.

Really helpful and was amazed by his knowledge so spot on!

Update on SM, Mechanic who fitted had a good look at it yesterday and couldn't find any problems and connections etc tight.

After lost of cranking/turning off the car continued to start.

He suggested to keep an eye on the problem and any issues he will come and have a look at it and replace SM if required.

Hoping to catch up with Paul in the next few weeks and get fault codes re-read but a lot happier than I was Tuesday thumbs up!