Spare Tyre storage - Complete (Yes Complete) Removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andle
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2007 - Picasso Xsara - 1.6 HDI - VTX - CH9HXC - DV6TED4 - Manual - 80k clock.

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Spare Tyre storage - Complete (Yes Complete) Removal

Post by Andle »

Hi all -

I need help understanding how to remove the spare tyre storage apparatus- the long securing bolt plus the metal carry rod that takes the weight of the tyre.

I need help on how to safely remove both of these - as I do not want to damage them. I will put them back on when I sell the car.

I drive my Picasso with all three rear seats removed - spare tyre removed - and it has improved my mpg values by about 6%.

I have RAC - so I can call them if the tyre is burst and they will tow me home.

I only really do town driving.

My thanks to any, willing to help.

Picasso Xsara
1.6 HDI VTX
92 bhp
9HXC
DV6TED4
Manual Transmission
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Spare Tyre storage - Complete (Yes Complete) Removal

Post by bobins »

There's not a lot of info on how to remove the wheel carrier. It looks a very simple bit of equipment.
Undo the bolt, drop the carrier, remove the wheel, unclip the carrier - one side will probably unclip easier than the other.
Xsara wheel carrier
Xsara wheel carrier

But..... you might want to check your RAC cover. Most breakdown companies specify that you must carry either a full size spare wheel, space saver spare wheel, or can of emergency tyre repair goo. Whilst 99% of the time the breakdown bod will probably help you out regardless, you don't want to get the one person who refuses to help as you haven't got a spare or a can of puncture repair.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

You may find that removing the spare will give you a pocket of poor airflow under the car? What would have 'flown' under will be able to flow into the space and cause a more turbulent flow, you could potentially keep the spare but create a flat sheet across the bsck with some thick plastic sheet? 5mm thick type?? Create a much smoother flow under the car?
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Not having a spare when you can easily carry one is just mad, check your breakdown T & C's as I know the AA's state they can refuse service if you don't have a serviceable spare wheel & tyre unless there was not one provided as standard by the manufacturer. All Xsara Picassos came with a spare as standard. Some will also only tow you to the nearest garage regardless of the level of cover you have.
How much fuel do you reckon you would save over a year by removing the spare wheel & cage ?

EDIT: Just checked the RAC's policy.
Not Covered
1. Please see the “Not Covered” part of Section A
(Roadside), which also applies here;
2. Tyre faults where the vehicle is not carrying a
serviceable spare tyre, the tyre repair equipment
provided by the vehicle’s manufacturer or a
locking wheel nut
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

?? I don't understand the reference to a locking wheel nut. Do they mean the key for the nut perhaps?

And I certainly wouldn't take the spare out either. When I've taking one of my Grand Tours I've even packed a spare spare!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I think that ditching a spare for fuel-saving purposes is just plain daft.
Re-programming your right foot (both pedals), or using better quality standard fuel (if possible), would have a more noticeable effect.
Chris
Andle
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2007 - Picasso Xsara - 1.6 HDI - VTX - CH9HXC - DV6TED4 - Manual - 80k clock.

Post by Andle »

I have considered that removing the weight of the tyre in conjunction with the rear three seats - over the next 20-30k - will make a difference that is felt in the pocket. I drive to optimise fuel already - this was something to do ontop of that.

I need help understanding how to remove bolt 71 in the picture - it seems to have a stop to prevent it's complete removal - in case the use over does it.

I am pretty sure that it's not just a case of unscrewing till it is released.

I don't want to force it as I'm sure there's some sort of 'stop' that I could break - or the bolt might shear off.

Can anybody take a look at one - or give me an idea of how to do this right?

As mentioned - I only do town driving - and have family throughout London - getting the tyre to me - from my back garden - won't be an issue.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Similar bolt on XM wheel carrier. If it is unscrewed all the way, the threaded 'hook' will actually fall off. Possible that on later cars the last couple of threads have been peened/clipped to prevent that. Try a bit of brute force: you won't shear the bolt . . . especially with its daft semi-circular slot at the top, to which I welded a nut, so that a wheelbrace/socket would fit it.
Chris
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Few more psi in the tyres should help your efficiency,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Last edited by myglaren on 26 Sep 2017, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Weight wise losing the spare will save you about a gallon and a half every 10,000 miles.
So that's what £8?

That's aerodynamics aside which will probably be negatively affected without the carrier in situ and may well negate the saving or cause a loss.

Hardly seems worth it to me considering you'll probably spend £10 ferrying a wheel around when you need it.

You could easily save the 12kg or so elsewhere without removing what is ultimately quite a sensible thing for a car to have.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Only ever put Half a tank of fuel in, leave the Wife and Kids at home ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Speakers, door trims, window motors, I could go on all day.seems ott to me though.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

If it's the same as the one on my 306, which I removed when I was applying the underbody wax the carrier just unhooks.

The bolt can just be withdrawn once the "hook" has been unscrewed from the end.

Note as others have said that the gains you'll see from this are very unlikely to be worthwhile. If fuel economy is really that important - a smaller and/or more fuel efficient vehicle may make more sense in the long run. Assuming as you're saying the rear seats are out that it's not necessary seating for kids etc which dictates a large car like this being used.

The majority of breakdown providers won't cover you if you're not carrying a spare. If you can't use it due to a mechanical failure (seized wheel nut etc) that's fine, but not actually carrying it in the car...nope. They will probably still recover you - but it will be chargeable, probably £150 before they even get the car on the truck for the bigger companies.

Also bear in mind that "getting someone to bring you the wheel" if fine and good on a residential side street...but isn't going to do you any good halfway between junctions on the M25.

Murphy's Law dictates that even if 99.999999% of your driving is local, it will be during that teeeny tiny remainder that things will go wrong. Usually in my experience when you're already trying to sort out some disaster which is why you're so far from home turf to start with.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Andle
(Donor 2020)

Post by Andle »

Update:

Will be hoping to remove the cage this weekend.

Will lube the bolt shaft for an hour with wd 40 before hand and see if it will simply twist off.

Will update with results.