ZX: bleeding coolant system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

ZX: bleeding coolant system

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

hi all,
i cant totally blled the system, theres always a bit of ait in the top bleed valve from the matrix, with car running and at normal temp of about 85, if i open the bleed valve some water comes out and then stops, i used a homemade headertank to fill it up but i cant totally blled it, any suggestions?
Dan
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Did you remember to put your heater control on full heat? It might be worth sticking a garden hose in your rad neck with the matrix bleed wide open, cover the rad around the hose with your hand to stop any water escaping and wait untill the air stops coming out of the bleeder (hehe) then put the bleed cap back on.. Mains presure even on a low supply should clear any air locks, and your hand will act as a safety valve and allow any severe pressure to escape and prevent possible damage...
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

sounds good to me, ill give that a go 2moro morning, thanks!
Dan
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Waste of time, because the ZX do not have a valve to control the water, they use the air flow flaps within the heater to control the heat temperature not a valve, the matrix is full flow.
Have you used a container in your radiator filler neck taking the water level well above the bleed points to ensure you remove the air when the engine is running at normal temperature, but be careful with the hot water!! from the bleed points. Remember to keep the level high when bleeding. (This the haynes way)
This a copy of a reply I did for the forum some 2yrs ago.
" First you must have a container that fits the expansion filler neck snugly ie: a plastic container with some masking tape around its screwed cap neck in a tapered fashion, so that you can lightly push the container into the expansion filler without any water leaking when filled. Then height of the container should be approx 100mm higher than the system in including all three bleed screws.
One bleed screw is on top of the rad on the R/H looking at the engine, another is to right of the fuel filter/thermostat and the heater bleed is at rear L/H of the engine compartment on the end of hose like a blanking screw.
You can bleed all points, keeping the water level high. You can do this later again when the engine is warm, but be warned!!! if you are not careful you can get burn't with hot water if you fumble with the screws