New Steering Wheel (contains pics)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

New Steering Wheel (contains pics)

Post by Guru Meditation »

While at the scrappers getting some relays for my headlight project I bought this steering wheel from a Xantia VSX, early model so no airbag. I had previously bought a ZX Volcane wheel but it was bent out of shape (I realised later the ZX wheel had not been bent in the crash but probably by the fork lifts they use to ever-so-carefully move the scrapped cars around with).
It fits ok but there are a couple of problems;
1) There is no indicator cancelling lug on it so I'm thinking of gluing something on;
2) It stands proud of the steering column shroud by almost an inch which kinda looks funny (how funny it looks I'd like opinions please) The slightly closer steering wheel doesn't make much difference to driving comfort and the leather is nicer to hold. It is also slightly larger diameter than the ZX wheel, although not by too much.
If I decide to keep it on I'd like to wire up the stereo controls to my Sony head unit (already have the Remote Commander for that).
LOL look at how bad my matts look-could do with some new ones.
and
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Looks all right to me mate. As to the standing proud all you have to do is fit some form of collar but I wouldn't bother. Tell us how yopu get on with the steering controls for the Sony head unit.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Looks great, have you tried a JPG optimiser to compress images, might save us poor blokes with dial up access a wait
Stewart
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

hi,
at the moment, ive got a steering wheel from a 205 convertable on it(same as GTi but ses CTI on it, looks good i think, i too have the same problem with indicator cancelation, is it easy to fit 'lugs' to the wheel boss?
Dan
Guru Meditation

Sorry about caning your bandwidth with the big pics mate! If it's any consolation the originals were 2048*1536 and around 900kb each-I reduced them to 1024*768 and appx 120kb each. Next time I'll post them up as 800*600 about 85kb or I could whack the colour depth down.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmm...I stuffed a leather airbag wheel from a vsx on my lx xantia a few moons ago, the indicator canceling is done by the rotary connector IIRC, you will need a rotary connector to get the wheel buttons working, but then you will need a xantia column to fit the connector into, if it can be made to fit a zx that is, then will the zx stalks fit the xantia column, none of this is very likely really, I was toying with the idea but thought screw it.
Dave
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hmm The wheel looks fine to me, and if it works its a good way to adjust the steering wheel a bit nearer? If it all works that is!! if not, anyone know of any other way to bring the steering wheel out a bit? Is the shaft long enought to allow for shims distance-pieces or something?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Looks good, and an ideal opportunity to do away with the self-cancelling indicators, which are a flippin' nuisance, especially on other peoples' cars [V]
Guru Meditation

uhn113x, that's one way to look at it!
James, I don't think there is much scope for shimming the steering wheel forwards as the splines are only 3-4cm long approximately. Although the thread is long, you could probably do a cm or so.
I don't know if I'll be able to get the steering controls to work as I left the multi plug for the inside the xantia-I could go back to the scrap yard and cut it off, then somehow work out what the pin outs do etc. Would be good if I could get it working
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Looks great gm [8D]
Did'nt notice the protrusion untill I read your point - does not look home-made in any way !
- besides it's often a problem with the wheel too far away - once your seat/pedal distance is corrected for best comfort - the wellknown "gorila" syndrome [:)]