Xantia S2 Clutch Cable connection.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DavemXantia
My Cars: Xantia Estate

Xantia S2 Clutch Cable connection.

Post by DavemXantia »

Another problem to ask the forum about...
Clutch cable became suddenly detached from the clutch pedal. Breakdown recovery. I'm informed by my local independent Citroen people that the cable itself hadn't snapped, rather that some kind of plastic receptacle which attaches the cable to the pedal mechanism had broken. They've replaced the bit, but are saying it's only a temporary fix, as the underlying reason is that the clutch thrust bearing (thrust plate...???) is failing, resulting in more effort being required to operate the clutch than before. Expect it to fail again, and for the cable to 'pop out' at any time. New clutch required.

On the basis that, other than being slightly stiffer than previously, the clutch otherwise still works fine, has anyone an alternative (if albeit only short term) solution to this? Like somehow bolstering the plastic 'thingy' so that the cable can't just 'pop out' so easily?

Please excuse my lack of appropriate technical vocabulary - I've no idea what this bit looks like, but from the sound of it, if it was a little bit stronger, the clutch as is could be serviceable for a while yet.

Or is a whole new clutch the only answer? Gulp!

Any advice welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Dave
xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Re: Xantia S2 Clutch Cable connection.

Post by xf1ref »

It has happend to my xantia and I made an adaptation with a metal bracket. I don't think you have to change the clutch.
The plastic receptacle is piece number 2.

The metal bracket is working from 6 years without a problem.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The well-known Achilles Heel of the Xantia with the BE3 gearbox - the infamous clutch clip...

I always carried a spare in the 1.9TD I had and enough tools to swap it.

The clip breaking may be a sign the clutch does need replacing. If the clutch feels excessively heavy it puts strain on the clip.

A heavy clutch is the sign of a worn clutch.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 10:11 The well-known Achilles Heel of the Xantia with the BE3 gearbox - the infamous clutch clip...

I always carried a spare in the 1.9TD I had and enough tools to swap it.

The clip breaking may be a sign the clutch does need replacing. If the clutch feels excessively heavy it puts strain on the clip.

A heavy clutch is the sign of a worn clutch.

This is something you will have to show me on Gabriel, as once I have her most mileage will be in the town with associated lots of clutch usage and more chance of clutch issues developing.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not really something you would want to do by the side of the road, especially if you have back issues!! It's easier if a) it's been done before so the bolt is in the right way and b) it's an auto adjust clutch as the spring is easier to deal with.

viewtopic.php?t=21201
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Davie, she comes with a couple of spare clips in the glove box and a brand-new clutch kit ready to fit ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I can usually nurse a clutch for a long time, but the food deliveries is hard on the clutch, and brakes for that matter. Its also why any vehicle subjected to this will have its oil changed more often than would be deemed necessary.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You'll not find Gabriel's clutch too bad at all Davie... Although she feels a bit heavy after the incredibly light Activa clutch she does not feel anywhere near as heavy after driving the 207 and that is a good benchmark...

I reckon you'll get a good few more miles out of her clutch before the job will need doing...
Jim

flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

I used to have a customer who was a mini-cab driver who did about 50k miles a year. I changed his clip 3 times in 18 months. I've still got one in my van I think as well as one for a Peugeot 405 (similar but muuuch easier). Haven't done one now for about 5 years.
DavemXantia

Post by DavemXantia »

Hi xf1ref, any chance you couple give some more details about your adaptation? Is your photo showing the metal bracket attached to the top of the pedal, thereby replacing piece number 2 in the diagram? (In which case, does this also do away with the need for piece number 5?)

What did you use to make the bracket, and how does the cable fit into it?

Sorry for so many (dumb?) questions, but the garage say we're looking at a circa £600 quid job to replace clutch which, other than a slightly heavy pedal, performs all the expected clutch functions perfectly. Your solution looks extremely sensible to me! Add to that the fact it's worked flawlessly for 6 years...brilliant...!!!!

Cheers,

Dave
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Quite often a new clutch cable lightens up a Xantia clutch nicely. Worth trying before worrying about the clutch as it's both cheaper and easier.
xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Post by xf1ref »

Hi Dave,
The metal bracket replace the piece number 2 and number 5. The bracket is U shape and is attached to the clutch pedal with a metal rivet. The end of the clutch cable is fixed inside the bracket through the cutting in shape of keyhole.
I bought the bracket, it was made for another car and I modified it a little...but I don't remember what I modified...I think I drilled a bigger hole in the pedal to insert the rivet

I found something similar on below link, the difference is the cutting where you attach the cable end.
http://yambits.co.uk/xt500-clutch-clevi ... 21154.html
DavemXantia

Post by DavemXantia »

Another question while I'm on this quest to find/create a replacement for this 'Achilles' heel'.
Where/how does the original clip usually fail? Does the nylon bit break (and if so, where), or do the legs of the metal spring clip give slightly, allowing the cable's ferrule (nipple end...?) to pull out?
Or both?

Cheers,
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Both in my experience Dave.... Biggest threat though is a heavy clutch due to wear.

A heavy clutch is a sign it's worn-out and needs replacement even if it's not slipping.

I'd false economy not to as if it fails and you force/crash gears through clutchless changes you'll the synchromesh almost instantly.
Jim

DavemXantia

Post by DavemXantia »

I hear what you're saying, Jim!

I've found/ordered something that looks like it'll do the job in the short term, very similar to what xf1ref did. But I will treat it as an interim measure. Faced with an MOT in the next month which I now know requires 4 new suspension spheres, I can't afford at the moment to add £600 quid to the bill for a new clutch (not something I could do myself...!) Furthermore, I've now come under a certain amount of pressure to think very carefully about spending that sort of cash on a 17 year old car....which upsets me a little, as I love this car to bits...! A mere youth at only 145,000 miles and perfect bodywork.

If the clutch does go, then we'll know not to force the gears. Never tried to do that anyway...didn't know you could...

Cheers,
Dave