What a pothole does

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

What a pothole does

Post by daviemck2006 »

This is what one of Aberdeenshires finest pot holes does to a 2000 mile old uniroyal and an 18" Peugeot alloy. Then to add insult to injury I find that the spare is a full size alloy with a bald tyre and a crack in the rim. It's holding air but was a very slow and worrying 20 miles home. 2 new wheels and tyres needed. A claim to the roads department tomorrow but eBay will have to be my friend as any claim to the council will probably take months. Do I get two genuine pug wheels or get a full set of aftermarkets? Depends what I find for sale.
Attachments
20170821_181223.jpg
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: What a pothole does

Post by daviemck2006 »

Just thinking that if the car had had the current trend of no spare just a tin of gunk and a toy compressor it would have been the back of an AA truck to get home. Im wanting to rectify this as cheaply as possible. Had a look on the bay. There are for sale, 1 mint condition alloy with a new pirelli for £149. I actually hate pirellis and have sworn never to buy one so its out. There is one ok wheel with light kerbing and a 7mm budget for £100. There are 2 scabby wheels with 3mm or less tyres at 75 each. There is one 17"steelie with new tyre for £35. It could do as a spare, it would be like a space saver get you home if it would go on over the calipers. But I would need to carry wheel nuts for it. There are various 17"alloys could be a spacesaver and using alloy nuts. The wheel that is bad damaged is use for the skip. I shall take the one with the crack to be inspected by a wheel restorer, it may repair ok, but would I want it on the car all the time? Theres no aftermarket sets that I like at sensible money. (-expletive removed-) knows what I will do. Its too late at night to think.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Davie, that's terrible :( :evil: I feel for you...

Hope a claim is 100% successful...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

My approach would probably to be to get the cheapest solution on there for now to tide you over until you've got confirmation that the council will cover the repair costs. No worry about matching wheel styles or anything so long as it's safe.

Once you've got it in writing that they're willing to cover repair costs, then go for it on a permanent solution (are those wheels still available new from Peugeot?).

Getting them to cough up though can be a pain as you've got to prove that they've been negligent...was a pain when I had to go through this process - and I worked for the council in question at the time!

If they're not going to cough up, that gives a bit of breathing room to track down a decent set of wheels at a sensible price. Shame I'm not still up there - this is exactly what Persley Den scrappy in Aberdeen is good for and I'd have happily kept an eye out for a pair of those wheels for you!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Potholes are virtually unknown here in Spain, despite temperature extremes (and rainfall in the north) that exceed anything found in Britain. Occasional patch repairs seem to last indefinitely, and don't fall out soon after they're put in.
#-o Tell me that the tarmac in the UK isn't substandard stuff, eagerly sold and agreed on by all the manufacturers - a fabulous and incessant source of income from cash-strapped local authorities. I've watched Spanish road repair guys at work, and I can tell you their level of preparation and skill is nothing special, but I'm guessing the black stuff is. One for the Public Accounts Committee, maybe.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Damp/Salts/Frost damage
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Stickyfinger wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 09:24 Damp/Salts/Frost damage

Got it in one Alisdair, and Spain ain't all that wonderful for its roads in my experience, then of course there's the fact that drivers should be driving in accordance with the prevailing road conditions to avoid such damage, :) sorry daviemck2006 :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Tarmac? Dream on, haven't seen any of that here for years.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 11:32 Tarmac? Dream on, haven't seen any of that here for years.

The only tarmac we have around here is that which binds the potholes together...

To really appreciate how bad the roads are try riding a bike on them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Agreed Jim, it's a disgrace.

Davie - do you have legal assistance on your insurance - maybe they can help speed things up for you?

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Is there any truth is the belief that if the pothole in question has been marked out with aerosol spray paint to indicate the council is aware and that it's earmarked for repair absolves said council from any liability?

Not sure where I heard this or even if I'm imagining it but I'd not be surprised if it is the case. I'm sure the councils have explored every way possible to wriggle out of any claims.

I observe that around this way potholes are very quickly surrounded with paint lines and arrows but the actual repair can take very much longer... A can of spray paint is cheap; tarmac is not I guess...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I believe that, not so long ago, the legal definition of a pothole was changed in such a way that, if it is below a certain size, it is not considered a hazard (although I could be wrong), which allows councils more time to get them fixed (I think it was the dimensions permitted that have been increased). Personally I am of the opinion that, should a pothole be large enough to cause any reasonable cyclists cause for concern the pothole is a hazard and needs to be addressed. The reason I said cyclists is that they are far more vulnerable to harm should a pothole cause them to lose control and come off their cycle (I know that cyclists have been seriously injured or killed when a pothole has pitched them into other vehicles).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I often thought hey were just to show the repair crews (really?) which ones to fix, but I guess it would also double up as evidence the Coucil was aware of them.

I would say that the one that caused the damage to Davie's car would have to have been quite deep and if a cyclist had gone over that at night, perhaps have been fatal. I would suggest that holes like that should be warning triangled, cordoned off and prioritised for repair. And regardless of knowledge of the existence of the hole, all claims should be allowed for any damage on something that bad as it looks like it could be lethal.

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 11:54 I believe that, not so long ago, the legal definition of a pothole was changed in such a way that, if it is below a certain size, it is not considered a hazard (although I could be wrong), which allows councils more time to get them fixed

You are perfectly correct James. Such potholes may present no hazard to a car at the permitted speed-limit for that stretch of road but they are, however small, potentially lethal to a cyclist...

I know where they all are on my regular rides but there's no point in reporting them as they fall outside the definition...

Any cyclist needs hawk-eyes to successfully evade them all, especially on unfamiliar roads...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 11:48 Is there any truth is the belief that if the pothole in question has been marked out with aerosol spray paint to indicate the council is aware and that it's earmarked for repair absolves said council from any liability?

I think it's rather the other way around, Jim - they have a defence if they didn't know about it, see: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/road ... a-pothole/ if they've marked it up, they can hardly deny they know about it!! They could argue that if it marked up then they are in the progress of repairing, but I'd have thought damage like that done to Davie's car would mean the hole should be a priority or fenced off.
Richard W