Two small Xantia mysteries

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kaibeezy
My Cars: Xantia 2001 1.8 16v

Two small Xantia mysteries

Post by Kaibeezy »

Greetings, all -

1) Nearside indicator blinking fast. Can get it to slow down if I pull back gently on the stalk. Assume bad stalk switch, bleh. Procrastinate, never get around to it. > (months) > Offside dipped headlight out. Do get around to replacing that. When done, may as well see if I can diagnose the indicator. WTH! It's blinking correctly now.

Mystery: Does the nearside indicator blink fast when a headlamp is out? The opposite one? Srsly? If no, then why did this happen?

2) There behind the now spare indicator bulb (photo below) is a switch. It does not appear to do anything. There's nothing in the manual about it. I couldn't find a photo showing it or a mention of it anywhere online.

Mystery: WTH is it for? Is it stock or done after?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Two small Xantia mysteries

Post by CitroJim »

Kaibeezy wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 11:08 Mystery: Does the nearside indicator blink fast when a headlamp is out? The opposite one? Srsly? If no, then why did this happen?
Generally not... It'll be unrelated as the wiring connector to the indicator is separate from that to the headlamp. A fast blink normally indicated a dead bulb, a bad bulbholder or a wiring fault.
Kaibeezy wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 11:08 2) There behind the now spare indicator bulb (photo below) is a switch. It does not appear to do anything. There's nothing in the manual about it. I couldn't find a photo showing it or a mention of it anywhere online.

Mystery: WTH is it for? Is it stock or done after?

Not stock and certainly done after...

Only way to see what it might once have done is to remove it and follow any wires back to their source..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

As Jim stated not stock.

If it has been used as a taxi in a past life could be the switch to illumiate a sign on the roof or spotlights etc

It does not look robust enough to do much else, very similar to the switch they use for the amber beacons as it appears to have a small led built in to show it is on.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Fast blinking on Xantias and Xms is usually the build up of little copper particles mixed with the factory grease inside the switch contacts. Can be dismantled and cleaned then just regrease and refit. Worked for me!
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi