synergie to c8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waveyr02

synergie to c8

Post by waveyr02 »

I have a year 2000 hdi synergie that I use as a camper but the rust is starting to take hold and now up to 170,000 miles, so thinking about something newer so the c8 would be the obvious choice, but I read many horror stories about them especially the diesel, so I was thinking about a petrol automatic which I expect to be very thirsty but I don't do that many miles, so the question is are the petrols any more reliable as there seems to be a few low mileage ones out there for reasonable money any thoughts.

Thanks Simon.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Re: synergie to c8

Post by ken newbold »

The petrols may well be less horrific than the diesels, but the auto boxes are also a well documented failure point
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I mean, I would have a C8 no problem. It is a Citroen though. You take your chance.
Lots of bus for the money..........compared to VW like. I don't know what auto box you would have but I think petrol seems to be kinder on an auto box.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

We all know how Citroens get slated for poor quality/lots of defects but:
To save crayoning on other threads, I will kick off with my worst car, the Golf Mk4.

Now having a baby changes things and when you find that your new pram doesn't fit the back of your car, you need to do something. So my beloved Golf 2 went to someone else and we bought a BRAND NEW Mk4 estate. All nice and shiny silver with a 2.0 petrol engine -- same as in the GTI 8V.

All went well, for oooo, 3 weeks, until the trip computer decided to throw a fit and kept telling me that I needed a service -- with 400 miles on the clock. Return to dealers for reset "sorry sir, they sometimes do that" [no, you clueless bunch of w4nkers forgot to set it at the PDI].

We were ok for a few months then, until it started dripping onto my leg during a rain storm. Return to dealers.
Then, two months later, the other door seal started dripping on SWMBO's leg. Return to dealer.
Then the remote locking started working intermittently -- Return to dealer "that's a common fault with these sir"
Thermostat failed -- Return to ...
Water pump failed -- plastic impeller parted company with metal shaft -- "that's a common fault...."
Driver's seat split -- Return to dealer twice to get this fixed properly
Suspension bolts loose -- return to dealers immediately as it sounded like Keith Moon was trapped under the bonnet
Then, Lambda sensor -- I know that there's a recall on these in the USA, the dealer denies any knowledge
Radio stops working -- fied by dealer who also install a rattle -- return to dealer
Get car back, radio not working because they have not connected the ariel -- return to dealer within 10 minutes
Ariel reconnected after 1 hour wait but rattle re-installed -- return to dealer
Second Lambda sensor fails -- just in warrantly, luckily since £110 + £95 fitting

Talk to dealer about trading in. Dealer takes p1ss with trade in value
Trade car in for Saab 9-5 estate - raise 2 fingers to VW dealer next door
Not alone either. My cousin had very similar experiences with her Honda, traded it in at the dealer across the road for a 308
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thing with VW is, you go look at a 5 year old car. Look at what you get, not bad, Get the price, not good and not a lot more in the car to justify it :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My eldest son had a Golf GTi and it was nothing but trouble.
Changed it for a Megane and was delighted with it.
Zero problems, more room, better build quality and more comfortable plus more economical.

Currently has a headache of a Seat Leon Cuprá and is dying to be shot of it.