Boxer main bearing cap broken, donor engine questions.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boxerbean
My Cars: Renault traffic
Peugeot boxer

Boxer main bearing cap broken, donor engine questions.

Post by boxerbean »

Hi, I recently bought a '97 boxer based 1.9td motorhome with about 80k on the clock and had it in the garage for an oil filler neck replacement and new alternator. Turns out the sump was leaking around the seal with the block so the mechanic removed it and found the main bearing cap closest to the gearbox had a crack in it.
main bearing cap
main bearing cap
main bearing cap
main bearing cap
New engine time :( , I've read on here that a car engine could be modified to fit (the sump, oil pickup and flywheel etc) and have found an L reg 306xtdt locally that could be a prospect. Is this a straightforward job or should I hold out for an engine from a boxer? Appreciate any help on the matter.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Boxer main bearing cap broken, donor engine questions.

Post by jgra1 »

yikes that's odd for an xud ?

will have a think ...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Is your own engine not repairable?

If the crank's not damaged I'd be looking for a bearing cap from the breaker's yard, it won't matter if the donor engine is worn out so long as the part you need is good.

That break looks to have been caused by insufficient tightening of the bolts.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I agree with Gibbo.. grab a cap or three and try them? I presume the bearings are line bored so one cap may not fit all.. but you could be lucky if you have a couple to choose from.

as far as other engines.. I am fairly sure any XUD turbo engine will go in, there may be a swapping of ancillaries etc but that's all easy when everything is out.. engine comes out through the bumper not up.. quite easy really..

A 2.0 hdi , 2.2 Hdi 8 valve (boxer/relay/ducato) and the best one, the 2.8 would all go in with some thought (as some boxers were made with them).. the 2.8 would be a great upgrade :)
Bick

Post by Bick »

In theory you cant just fit another bearing journal cap because they are line bored so are matched to that journal only but in practice i would go for it and get your mechanic to fit another cap, obviously the shells will need replacing. Odd one though, suspect not tightened correctly at manufacture?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

or over-tightened maybe?
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Bick wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 11:47 In theory you cant just fit another bearing journal cap because they are line bored so are matched to that journal only but in practice i would go for it and get your mechanic to fit another cap, obviously the shells will need replacing. Odd one though, suspect not tightened correctly at manufacture?

This !. Its either a replacement engine and sheds loads of cash. OR get a couple of caps,try them, and keep your fingers crossed.
That is a strange one though? never seen that in all my years with Peugeots.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Never heard of this happening, this year seems to be the one for low mileage/unusual XUD failures though :?

I don't know if you get down around Congleton at all but if you do you're welcome to the caps from our old engine, should still have them knocking around the garage. If you don't come round this way I can post however many you might need for the price of shipping. Shouldn't be too much hopefully.

EDIT-: Just checked and all main caps are still present & correct, bolts too. They're back on the block which may well be good to go again too. It's a non-turbo block but I think all the turbo-specific bits bolt onto it anyway (someone correct me if wrong please!) There was a bit of damage to the inside of the crankcase from the thrown rod but no hole/crack or bore damage & was generally nice condition being a sub-100k engine.

Up to you how much, if any, of this lot you want. one cap or the whole block, Just give me a shout & it's yours for collection/price of postage cheers.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
boxerbean
Peugeot boxer

Post by boxerbean »

Thanks for the help lads, I am wary of swapping out the cap for another without line boring so going down the used engine route. I've been and bought a running 306 1.9td this morning that's had one lady owner from new (they all say that) and has 86k on it, just trying to minimise the risk since we hope to use the van in Europe. Everyone I've spoken to is stumped as to how the cap could be damaged. The van was running ok...
Here's the cap from another angle there's some slight pitting on the mating surface and it don't feel perfectly round.
Strange?
Strange?
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

Just a thought, not sure on the years etc but I recall from our own blown engine saga that some 1.9TD units had weak conrods & I *think* the 306 was one of the cars affected although I could be wrong. Maybe worth double checking it's not one of the affected engine codes before putting it to heavier use in the Boxer? EDIT- 97-99 306 affected, link below with more on it.

Hopefully it's not one of the affected units but should be able to swap rods from the original engine if it is, would be worth doing IMO for future peace of mind with it powering a heavier vehicle. If it's not one of the affected engine's it ought to be fine as it is :)

Not seen an XTDT for a while, what state is the rest of the car in, bad?
Last edited by ekjdm14 on 05 Aug 2017, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Link to our thread with more info/engine codes/years affected so you can check Le moteur est mort
boxerbean
Peugeot boxer

Post by boxerbean »

The rest of the car is pretty good given it's on a L plate. I'm sorta hoping the engine is good but I'm no mechanic - if I was I wouldn't have bought a van with a cracked main bearing cap!
Here's the pics from the seller, don't have one of the engine but it looked cleaner than the ones I've seen laying upside down in the local scrap yards. :-D
nearside
nearside
offside
offside
rear
rear
interior
interior
I've a question about the turbo, I read somewhere on here that the van turbo differs from the car somehow, should I have them changed over or just stick with the one on the donor engine?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think the van turbo has a different outlet housing on it to allow for a different exhaust routing. I would compare them against each other when it's out, and if the orientation is different, fit the old one.

I doubt the rods in that engine are going to be a problem - if it was going to throw one, it would have done it by now!!
Richard W
boxerbean
Peugeot boxer

Post by boxerbean »

Update. Had the engine removed from the 306, stripped and put in the motorhome. She lives! She also has a broken heater matrix and a...

I'll just start another thread!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

AHH good ;)

I did my boxer matrix last year.. not too hideous