What do you think?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

What do you think?

Post by lexi »

Glad I went for a few errands before setting out on a fishing trip. Brakes failed about two streets away!
Pedal to floor. I got it back and up the driveway, then set about looking for fluid. Sure enough, coming from n/s front caliper. Stripped caliper out and got it on table.
Nothing looks untoward #-o . Yeah, fluid seems to have pushed by the seal, but the piston looks new and no wear in bore. I did notice that the dust seal was well stuck to inside of piston bore. It was where it should be, but I have never had to cut and shave a dust rubber out like that.
As if it was put on with a super adhesive, or had welded itself to the metal by heat. Hydraulic ring came out intact. These calipers looked like recons, when I got the car 10k miles ago.

I may put a new seal kit on and use the red rubber grease on the bore and sealing ring. I thought about another caliper but I don't see what is wrong with this one? Any one had this? I haven't as they always seize with me...........then need renewed.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: What do you think?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Maybe the seal was nicked when originally fitted, I'd just fit a new one and keep a close watch on it to be sure.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks Gibbo. I have ordered new Budweg seal kit. The only thing I see is some hard residue at a few parts of the groove where seal goes. That and some some dirt in very bottom of cylinder which came off with brass dremel brush. It may have interfered with seal seating or a cheap seal has been used in reconditioning caliper and it has shrunk...........unlikely but the rubber does not seem very supple.
Despite best efforts, I could not get brake hose off caliper. Had to put on bench and drive a socket on after hose was cut. It came off then of course, so another hose ordered. At least the hose came off the brake pipe at the other end, without going on and on :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

:lol: It seems that the fluid is escaping through the handbrake mech. There are seals for this in the kit. There is not a stripdown guide that I can find though.
Could not get that hex screw off the hand brake lever any way. I ended up building it up with weld carefully and then filing two flats on it to get my mole grips onto it. The screw is out so maybe tomorrow I will see if the shaft can tap through into the caliper bore.
I'll spend a day at it and if no joy, it will be a recon caliper. Not Citroen's fault...................it's those Germans again!

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Problem here guys is tech info and drawings on this caliper. No parts lists of caliper on net and little info..........gawd knows I have searched!
I have the whole assembly apart now, including the piston pinion. There is a rubber seal on the pinion. It sits in a deep groove. The o ring does not look damaged though. It does feel a little loose on the shaft mind. I have no way of knowing if the spare o rings in my build kit are for this shaft.(they look a bit neat in size) I mailed Brake International for a drawing. They used to list all drawings and parts nos. I think people were looking at drawings and buying parts elswhere.
The drawing does not even come up on Service Cit. I have put the o ring in hot water and will red rubber grease it up and re- assemble for a test. I think it will be new caliper though. AEP parts seem to say their calipers are same as what was on car when new? I'll have a look tomorrow, see how they measure up as they are over in Rutherglen.
I don't want cheap rubbish on the front brakes. ECP and the like don't look too good for price and quality. I 'll get a few pics up of the assembly as it might be usefull to others.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I've had a few new sets of calipers on mine due to handbrake mech seizing.
Couldn't say where they were sourced but probably ECP, GSF or Citroen.
Not terribly expensive - about £80 a throw.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I think a lot of them are pretty poor Steve and only built to last 2 or 3 years. That is why they are cheap.
Good ones are due the extra money they charge. The mechs seize because it is a plain bush with only brake fluid to lube it. Water in fluid,then rust. I think the worst thing for them is probably the hydrocarbons we spray in there to keep the shaft free. That may affect the rubber o ring.
Probably stripping them every few years and cleaning shaft would help. I think the silicone grease on the end of the shaft, beyond the o ring may be an idea, ie where it is not going to mingle with brake fluid. The rubber washer on outside could be packed with silicone grease too. Will stop ingress to shaft.
I forgot to take pics. I put my shaft o ring into hot water. It did swell it a bit. Greased it up and assembled, then fitted caliper. It is holding pressure for the moment. Any ideas why there is back pressure on the pinion shaft and seal? Should there be so much really?
If the bits and info were more available, these calipers could be rebuilt yourself, cheaper and better than some of these recons. Having read up a lot on all the types of these calipers on other cars like VW etc, the C5 ones on the Mk 1 are pretty good really.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2