Xantia engine stop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Xantia engine stop

Post by davewithington »

I had an interesting fault last night

The engine of my Xantia, a 127,000 mile 2ltr petrol auto Mk1 of 1997, suddenly stopped as I slowed for a junction. I did a quick restart and it wouldn't idle, but ran fine with throttle on. It did this several times on the way home. I had a prod at various things, disconnected the idle speed controller and reconnected it, checked my oil level (which was a bit low) put some oil in and went out for a curry.

It hasn't done it today. I've squirted some carb cleaner round the throttle body and butterfly, and had the battery disconnected to reboot everything. Seems OK for now.

Anything I should be looking at?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Xantia engine stop

Post by elma »

I'd be thinking fuel filter, idle control valve, fuel pump or crankshaft sensor.
Sounds like a fuelling problem really given how it drove after it cut out.
If it's not doing it now that you've fiddled with the idle control valve my monies on that.
Maybe give it a good clean up and see if the problem returns.
I don't know the state of service on your car but it could be time for a fuel filter and spark plugs.
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Hmmm. Haven't changed the fuel filter for a while. Change that and clean, or probably change the idle control valve.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Go for the accessible and reasonably priced parts first.
Could be wrong as I'm fairly new to petrols but I thought idle control valves just needed keeping clean unless they expire and that they are unlikely to expire.
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

It had a good bath in carb cleaner earlier, so I'll see how I go. First car I've had with modern injection