Wheel bearings

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
doctle
Posts: 947
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 12:17
x 225

Wheel bearings

Unread post by doctle »

Another issue. I put the gear oil in the 307 and drove it a few yards and there's still a bearing rumble it's coming from the offside rear wheel. The bearing seems to be part of the disc, the Haynes manual details how to remove a rear brake disc but not this type. I'm pretty sure I can get the hub/disc off but my question is.... How does the ABS get it's signal from the rear wheel? If the sensor is inside the bearing should it say so on the listing on ebay or GSF etc? The rear bearings are horribly expensive I don't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks
Oh buggle
Online
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 12584
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 1487

Re: Wheel bearings

Unread post by RichardW »

There's no separate hub, the bearing housing is part of the disc. There is a separate ring on the back of disc that sends the signal for the ABS. It's easy enough to remove - unbolt and remove the caliper, then remove the caliper bracket(*) unstake and undo the hub nut and the disc assembly will slide off. If the discs are OK, then it should be possible to press the bearing out and put a new one in. If the disc is worn out anyway you might as well replace the whole lot. Note that there are 2 sizes of bearing; you need to get the right one - the larger one has a 36mm hub nut (note, not the same as the front hubs which are 35 - I had to buy a new socket!); the smaller one 30 or 32 can't remember.

* These are Torx headed, and prone to the heads rusting out. It's fairly easy to cut the heads off with an angle grinder, but you need to have new ones on hand as they are M10 Fine x 30mm.

If you post up the VIN, i can look and see if yours has got the big or small ones.

I got a set of Brembo pads and discs for mine - sadly one of the bearings has lasted only about 20k, so I need to change that... new bearing kits are widely available.
Richard W
doctle
Posts: 947
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 12:17
x 225

Re: Wheel bearings

Unread post by doctle »

Thank you for the quick reply, the discs look ok here is the VIN VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] The calipers have Lucas stamped on them
Oh buggle
Online
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 12584
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 1487

Re: Wheel bearings

Unread post by RichardW »

Yours has got the smaller ones, 25mm dia stub axle.
Richard W
doctle
Posts: 947
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 12:17
x 225

Re: Wheel bearings

Unread post by doctle »

Thank you Richard as there is no sensor in the bearing its self I should be OK going with a brand like CD or SKF for the bearing? I have new pads in the boot discs are good I might actually get a spin in her at the weekend !
Oh buggle
doctle
Posts: 947
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 12:17
x 225

Re: Wheel bearings

Unread post by doctle »

And finally is Nordic a good brand of bearing? £15 on ebay the Meyle bearing is €66 in my local motor factors.
Oh buggle
doctle
Posts: 947
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 12:17
x 225

Re: Wheel bearings

Unread post by doctle »

UPDATE - I got an SKF bearing and went to work, the strake nut was barely dented and felt like it had been tightened with only a ratchet as it wasn't overly tight certainly nor 155lbs tight. All good now!.
Oh buggle