Bent sump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lucianman
My Cars: Citroën C5 X7

Bent sump

Post by Lucianman »

Hi all,
(english is not my first language, sorry)
Just 3 weeks ago I went to a mechanic to get my timing belt changed on my 2009 Citroen C5 X7 1.6Hdi. Car had no error codes at all (a have a lexia3)

The next day after I took my car back from the garage, on the very first turn I got the "Warning oil pressure too low" message on the dash. I drove it home and left it for like two weeks parked in the drive because I was away on holidays.
Today after I searched this forum and the internet for solutions to my problem, I put my car on axle stands, took the engine splash shield out just to find out that my sump was bent.
By the way was the engine sump was in perfect condition like o month before I had to do the timing belt replacement because i have changed the oil myself and i saw it intact (as well the splash shield)

Also, after the repair the mechanic told me to sell the car quick because the engine was running bad and the repairs may be too expensive
I know my, I had it for over an year, the car was running smooth and still does apart from that error.

I think the guy from the garage put a trolley jack under the engine to lift it and bent my sump.
I've attached some pictures. From the pictures doesn't look too bad but the dent on it is quite big.

Any ideas what should I do next?

Many thanks, Lucian
Attachments
20424605_1577794328919681_630364434_o.jpg
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Bent sump

Post by elma »

Replace the sump and never use that garage again.

Really they should pay to fix it but as you didn't go straight back I don't think you'll have much hope.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I heartily concur with elma. The problem is that you cannot PROVE they did the damage, so you would not be able to get anything back from the garage. As it is your word against theirs it could be tricky getting a favourable outcome through a claims court.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 24 Jul 2017, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Do you guys not have small claims court there? Might be worth a punt?
why?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think it would be very difficult to prove that the garage was responsible, especially after this length of time.
As Elma says, take it on the nose and replace the sump.

Welcome to the forum :)
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I think the low pressure warning is because the strainer is now pushed onto the sump, so you might need a new strainer as well. If you can remove the sump you can probably straighten it with a hammer and piece of wood. I once bought a Saab 900 auto with atf running from the gearbox. Turns out the gearbox pan was damaged and I repaired it with a hammer and piece of wood, no leaks after.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Lucianman

Post by Lucianman »

Thank you all for the quick interventions
I think of a new strainer as well (oil sump+strainer+oil=100 pounds)
In order to prove myself right i can print a report from my diagnostic tool to show the exact date when the error appeared for the first time, and it was the day I took my car back for the garage (same date on the bill), maybe that helps...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That could actually be a strong bargaining card.

Difficulty is that you have to give them the chance to put the damage right.

Personally I wouldn't want someone that incompetant to do a repair on my car. Especially as they must have known when they advised you it runs poorly.

So I guess its up to you 1. Approach the garage with your evidence and ask them to repair the car.
Or 2. Pay to fix it yourself / elsewhere.

There is the possibility of claiming the money back from the original garage afterwards but you'll need an engineers report and its a bit of an ordeal to get into that will cost about the same as the repair. Laws funny in this country so even if you think you have 100% proved your case your chances of winning are more like 50%. Once you do win getting them to pay up can be almost impossible and very stressful.

My advice for in the future is that if somethings not right on a car after garage wirk take it straight back. If you've only driven to the end of the road and back then your position is a lot stronger.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's got to be worth asking them to fix it - although it's a pretty shoddy outfit that would do that and not fess up to it and offer to fix it. I would want to be in the workshop when they do it, and make sure that they use the correct C2 spec oil when refilling.

Getting the sump off is not too hard - you can do it without removing the exhaust section, and the two studs at either end have a built in collar which pulls the sump off when they are undone.

If they're not interested, then get it fixed then sue them in the small claims court for the repair costs. And report them to Trading Standards.
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

If you don't trust them to do the job and you can get them to agree that they are culpable then perhaps they would agree to supply you with a sump and pickup.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I wouldn't be going near that garage again, and certainly not trust them to do a sump replacement.
If you can replace the sump etc for around £100, best just to do that - at least you'll know it has been done well.
Chris
Lucianman

Post by Lucianman »

Spoke to them over the phone and agreed to bring the car over so they can have a look. Only that in 2 weeks time because they're on holidays now. I'm thinking about fixing it somewhere else and bring them the bill. Or to fix it myself
Bick

Post by Bick »

Replace the sump and check the oil pick up for damage it may be cracked so check carefully. Have any work the garage did inspected and never ever go there again, to put a jack under a sump is so bad you know they are NOT mechanics. Sorry mate but you do really need to keep away from that garage and try and get compensation through your legal process.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Lucianman wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 08:25 Spoke to them over the phone and agreed to bring the car over so they can have a look. Only that in 2 weeks time because they're on holidays now. I'm thinking about fixing it somewhere else and bring them the bill. Or to fix it myself

Don't do that unless you have their prior agreement in writing, they will, in law, have no obligation to pay.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.